Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,003   Online: 861

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbroadbridge
    This is a phishing trap and a fraudulent site.

Send an email to spoof@ebay.com and ask them if it is for real before even replying to this post.

Soneone should lock this tread, thanks mods.
    And you base this conclusion on ...?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    jnanian is absolutely right - assuming you have no employees in another state or other factors that would create a nexus issue. Long term, some states are banding together in an effort to lobby for a national sales tax to help recoup the money they are losing to out of state purchases. However, this will be an unhill fight.
    Scott Killian
    www.scottkillian.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We don't have to pay taxes on what we sell here in Montana, there is no sales tax and they don't gather taxes on goods sold either...

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format

sales taxes on web purchases/sales

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    its been my understanding that if you run a business, and sell things "mail order" or from a website, using ebay, yard sales, or even sell your car off of your front lawn, you are supposed to be collecting in-state sales tax. this isn't really anything new or different from what has been going on for a long, long-time.
    Merchants have to collect sales taxes on items sold in person within the state, or on web sales delivered to in-state addresses. They have no authority to collect sales taxes on items delivered to out-of-state residents--since taxing the crap out of interstate commerce is (supposed to be) the purview of our solons in Congress. At least that's how it is here in Kentucky.

Some states,like Kentucky also have a "use tax", whereby residents are supposed to report their out-of-state purchases and pay tax on them. You can imagine what the level of voluntary compliance is with this law.

Efforts are indeed underfoot in Congress to standardize sales taxes across thousands of jurisdictions in the US. Not only do tax rates vary by locality (KY has a uniform 6% sales tax collected at the state level and then distributed to localities), but which items are taxable also differs widely. For example, KY taxes shipping charges on items you buy; other states add the shipping charges after taxing only the actual items. It's a nightmarishly confusing morass. A further example of why our current tax system is just idiotic, combined as it is with ham-fisted attempts at social engineering.

Given the billions in taxes uncollected, and the politicians' voracious appetites for more of our dollars to spend buying the votes of us idiots who keep putting people in office who promise to bring us home the bacon we work 5 months of the year to pay for, it's only a matter of time until this is worked out. Then it'll be only a matter of who collects the tax and to whom the proceeds are sent.

Count on it.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    We don't have to pay taxes on what we sell here in Montana, there is no sales tax and they don't gather taxes on goods sold either...

Dave
    What would Montana do with the $$ anyway? Don't Hollywood types with 2nd homes pay for everything including coats for the endangered caribou?
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    What would Montana do with the $$ anyway? Don't Hollywood types with 2nd homes pay for everything including coats for the endangered caribou?

The biggest problem is the Hollywood types DON'T pay their taxes!! so the state is always trying to throw something new at us, they just published a report and 80% of unpaid taxes are either parttime residents or out of state companies, it amounts to almost 5 billion dollars....and they say it is too expensive to try and collect, so who do you think they are trying to get to make up the difference!!!!

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ebay Mainstreet, is an actual ebay site owned by ebay...
    Dave,

That's not necessarily so. Anyone can put whatever they want into the domain name server data section. Not much checking of authenticity is done.

Like mentioned previously, I'd email eBay and find out if the site is legitimate or not. It might very well be on the level. It never hurts to ask.
    Dean Tomasula
    The Place for Pix
    Stock and Fine Art Photography

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    The link is on their website and if you have an account there it us under myebay right at the top. And congress has been tryingto do this so it is not a scam link it is legit. And personally I think it is sickening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dtomasula
    Dave,

That's not necessarily so. Anyone can put whatever they want into the domain name server data section. Not much checking of authenticity is done.

Like mentioned previously, I'd email eBay and find out if the site is legitimate or not. It might very well be on the level. It never hurts to ask.
    Dean,

Ebay is very vigorous on prosucuting people who try to register anything with there name in it, they have done so many times in the past, I can assure you ebaymainstreet is in fact a property owned by ebay, and is a legitimate website.

Dave

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    so who do you think they are trying to get to make up the difference!!!!
    Hmmmmm Not Ted Turner huh?
    (I know, it will be you Dave. If it makes you feel any better I'm paying 7k per year for my tiny slice of surburbia )
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin