Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,961   Posts: 1,558,293   Online: 989

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

Ebay, what is going on?

I dont know about you all but I have started to use ebay to market and sell my images on their site.

http://www.ebaymainstreet.com/mainstreet/

This is really bothersome. If these types of law passes even the gallery Sean is trying to start here would get screwed.

Here are a few snips. You should read the link.

What issues does eBay Main Street monitor?

eBay wants to make you aware of legislative threats in your state and in Washington, D.C. We currently monitor and are involved with many issues relevant to the eBay community, including:

* Auctioneering License Requirements - Some states are attempting to require eBay sellers to become licensed "auctioneers." Some states require up to $1000 in annual licensing fees and time-consuming auctioneering schools, where you will learn important online skills such as "voice modulation." Without a license you could be subject to thousands of dollars in fines for selling on eBay.

* Distant State Sales Tax - here are 45 states and the District of Columbia that have sales taxes on goods. These states have sought for years to make out-of-state sellers collect sales taxes on their distant sales. The states have proposed a new scheme that will be debated in Congress to require eBay sellers to collect and pay these taxes to the states (with thousands of local jurisdictions) where your customers are located. Without your help, you could be required to file and pay a monthly tax bill in each state and be subject to yearly audits in each state.

* And more, including pawnbrokering licenses, auto dealer requirements, event ticket restrictions, etc!
    This would kill small businesses big time.

Our gov is getting completely out of control. It is getting more expensive to live-in the US and we get nothing for our tax dollars except get screwed by paying for programs we did not want, etc...

Just thought I would share this totally irritating.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like much else about a place such as ebay such requirements are impossible to enforce. -Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the same government grab for money that has gone on for years - they have made noises about regulating flea markets and rummage sales in the US over the decades, but have rarely been successful. I think it's a good idea for ebay to notify sellers of potential legislation - that's the time to nip it in the bud.

I think the most dangerous is the sales tax issue. States see themselves as losing millions of dollars. The big issue for a seller is how do you know what tax to charge. Here in Florida almost every city has a different tax. If we're going to be stuck with sales taxes, it seems to me the only way ebay sellers, and small market sellers such as many of our suppliers, can keep up with what tax to charge is to charge the tax applicable in their local community.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    States have been trying to collect state sales tax on out-of-state mail order sales for ages. Since that would be an interstate commerce issue, it would require federal legislation, and practically it would be very difficult and costly. Would each state have its own customs department to intercept out-of-state shipments or goods brought across state borders? This is what the commerce clause was designed to prevent.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a phishing trap and a fraudulent site.

Send an email to spoof@ebay.com and ask them if it is for real before even replying to this post.

Soneone should lock this tread, thanks mods.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gbroadbridge
    This is a phishing trap and a fraudulent site.

Send an email to spoof@ebay.com and ask them if it is for real before even replying to this post.

Soneone should lock this tread, thanks mods.
    Ebay Mainstreet, is an actual ebay site owned by ebay...

Here is the contact information for them:

Domain Name.......... ebaymainstreet.com
    Creation Date........ 2004-09-25
    Registration Date.... 2004-09-25
    Expiry Date.......... 2006-09-25
    Organisation Name.... eBay
    Organisation Address. 2145 Hamilton Avenue
    Organisation Address.
    Organisation Address. San Jose
    Organisation Address. 95125
    Organisation Address. CA
    Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

Admin Name........... eBay Inc.
    Admin Address........ 2145 Hamilton Avenue
    Admin Address........
    Admin Address........ San Jose
    Admin Address........ 95125
    Admin Address........ DC
    Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
    Admin Email.......... **********@ebay.com
    Admin Phone.......... 408 376-7400
    Admin Fax............

Tech Name............ Shabbir or Dan Solomon Safdar
    Tech Address......... 1025 Vermont Avenue, NW
    Tech Address.........
    Tech Address......... Washington
    Tech Address......... 20005
    Tech Address......... DC
    Tech Address......... UNITED STATES
    Tech Email........... ****************@mindshare.net
    Tech Phone........... 202-654-0800
    Tech Fax.............
    Name Server.......... ns1.secure.net
    Name Server.......... ns2.secure.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think it is phishing: the domain is registered to ebay and there is a link "Government Relations" at the bottom of the ebay.com home page that re-directs you to the site.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I shouldn't worry, just buy & sell on ebay sites outside of the USA.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Governments need money to operate, to pay benefits, fix roads etc. I wouldn't doubt that what you'll see is a law required of sellers to collect tax and pay it to their local collection agencies. As a buyer the tax rate would then be put at the bottom of the ad. Most normal businesses collect it now and the question is, how long will government be willing to look the other way as billions of dollars of goods are sold without a tax being paid? The U.S. and many States are in debt to their eyeballs and something has to change. The politicians are not going to curb their spending ways, States will want to pay for benefit programs, medication supplements, diaster relief etc. I say that regardless of the complexity it will have to be addressed and probably sooner then later. Because of the current state of affairs in the Capital now, you can expect things to settle and probably not be taken up till after the next Presidential election. If the fundamentalist (Republicans) get in office again, you probably could expect it to be an immediate issue; They will start to cry poor as taxes are cut for the rich. It's certainly not an issue to be explored before an election. Look for background rumblings of bills being drafted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    its been my understanding that if you run a business, and sell things "mail order" or from a website, using ebay, yard sales, or even sell your car off of your front lawn, you are supposed to be collecting in-state sales tax. this isn't really anything new or different from what has been going on for a long, long-time.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin