Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,471   Posts: 1,644,179   Online: 1042

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    In the last photo exhibit I did, I had all my pics (8x10" FB) on cut pieces of foamcore pinned to the walls. During the exhibition, which went for one week, I was worried if my prints curl up, fall, get torn up, etc. Since the space was tiny and I had 30 images to display, this method worked good, but I will never use it again because it's too cheap and unsecure.

There was one time, I only used bookmattes for the display in a cozy setting of a group show in a gallery. But again, if that show would've been longer than it was, which was one week, I would have not done that. I'm still going through this frame shopping and stuff, and it seems I can never find what I like for my prints.

But for the next exhibit I'm hoping to do next year, I want to do it in a standard way. Right now, I'm preparing 40 to 50 prints (11x14" FB) to be matted and framed. The good thing is the gallery I'm planning to use lends frames for its users at free of charge, so I don't have to worry too much about what kind(s) of frames I want use, etc, which takes forever for me to decide sometimes. And this is something I don't want to spend too much money and time for.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Personally, the mount and frame should be as unobtrusive as possbile. They should be neither complimentary, nor should they degrade from the image. They should be invisible - they're there to hold the image so one can look at it.

The last compliment I want when someone is looking at one of my photographs is "Great Frame", or "Nice Mat". If you get that, you've done something wrong.

I want people to look at the *image*, not the frame or the mount.

Just my $0.02 worth....
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I like the mat and the frame to enhance the image. However, my choice of frames is quite conservative; mostly thin wood frames.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KenM
    Personally, the mount and frame should be as unobtrusive as possbile. They should be neither complimentary, nor should they degrade from the image. They should be invisible - they're there to hold the image so one can look at it.

The last compliment I want when someone is looking at one of my photographs is "Great Frame", or "Nice Mat". If you get that, you've done something wrong.

Just my $0.02 worth....
    Ken,

I totally agree with what you said.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by davetravis
    [I]One must be pragmatic to pay the bills, even at the expense of some personal preference.
    I'm taking pride in not being the "one"...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi
    I'm taking pride in not being the "one"...
    But you must be "the one", like in the Matrix? Right?
    Somebody has to be "the one."

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by davetravis
    But you must be "the one", like in the Matrix? Right?
    Somebody has to be "the one."
    ok, you lost me.
    I use liquid emulsion as matrix for my bromoil..

who is Matrix ? some digit## guy?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi
    who is Matrix ? some digit## guy?
    A Hollywood movie.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    A Hollywood movie.

thaught so..

don't know him..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenM

Just my $0.02 worth....
    Dunno, I'm renowned for using coloured mats.

I really like it when a happy purchaser makes a comment like, "wow, the coloured background really made your photograph stand out from the rest in the gallery."

I never use white mats on a B&W photograph. They diminish the image.

Graham.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin