Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,548   Posts: 1,573,024   Online: 860

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images

Framing? with or without matt

that's always a question.

as I have said before, I'll never even consider selling an image with white matting..

but many of my images are not suited to matting at all..

so I have uploaded an image that shows how it can be done...

I've done three of those kind of framings till now..

(this is one of my concerns in selling ower the net. I'd like my images to be framed in old used dark frames. black or mahogany. I've been "collecting" mahogany frames for 20 years for this reason only.
    it isn't easy to send overseas..(the glass is old too - that SP more beautiful than the modern glass..))

if you want to see my example, it is here:
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...=10402&cat=501

Images
    I am sure someone will tell you that it has to be dry mounted on WHITE (I Believe it must be capitalized when you write it) board to be professional, and every one should do it their way, and they will be very willing to give pointers on how to do it correctly.

I onthe other hand do not agree with that sentiment at all. I love the image and the mount accentuates it. The photo, in it's mount, becomes a fine piece of furniture. It is also a very appropriate mount for that image.

It truely amazes me how an "artist" cannot see all of the possibilities in the presentation of their work. I find it laughable that there is only "one" professional way to display, if one wants to be taken seriously.

I prefer my POP prints on Black board because it allows the Magenta "blacks" to stand out. When they are on white boards that magental looks too black.

I think, ultimately, the way a photo is displayed is up to the artist and or the buyer. If I want something matted in neon pink metal then that is my business as the buyer. As an artist, If I want the same thing then the mount becomes part of the vision of me, the artist.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a word of caution... If you do not mat, put in spacers so your print does not touch the glass.... it will, over time "become one" with the glass... not a good thing.

That is probably the main purpose of matting... to protect the print from the glass.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Large Format
    I agreee with your presentation. It is very good looking and I'm sure the computer image doesn't do it justice.

I laugh at the "must be white matting" thing (sorry but I refuse to capitalize it). I find nothing more distracting to an image than a bright white background...

And yes, POP prints on black can't be beat ;-)

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Just a word of caution... If you do not mat, put in spacers so your print does not touch the glass.... it will, over time "become one" with the glass... not a good thing.

That is probably the main purpose of matting... to protect the print from the glass.
    yes, I know.
    but here there is no glass. it wouldn't look right.

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe that presentation is the artist's personal choice and is in fact a large component of the image. I don't believe that there is a "right" way to do it. At this point in my photographic evolution I perfer white mat board but I still love well presented photographs that don't follow my choice.
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wfe
    I believe that presentation is the artist's personal choice and is in fact a large component of the image. I don't believe that there is a "right" way to do it. At this point in my photographic evolution I perfer white mat board but I still love well presented photographs that don't follow my choice.
    I totally agree with you (except the white issue )
    but I have the problem that no one has bothered to explain why it has to be white matting.

I don't know - when I go to photographic exhibitions, I so often get frustrated/dissapointed with the seemingly consensus, that all images are matted white - they are very often the same size - they are framed with a tiny metal frame, and they hang so straight, that if you place your hands on your back - bend over a tiny bit, you can "do" any exhibition in 45 sec or less....

and the "why" is still there..

(I have never done an exhibition that way myself, though. I always have different sizes - different matting if any and different frames. that way it looks like an exhibition...)

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi
    but I have the problem that no one has bothered to explain why it has to be white matting.
    I like it because it is simple and clean and I feel that it does not present any level of distraction to the image. Simply put I like the look. Also I did not say that it HAS to be white. White is my choice.
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi
    Maybe the person who proposed the "requirment" of a WHITE mat can help out.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Maybe the person who proposed the "requirment" of a WHITE mat can help out.
    doesn't think so...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin