Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,838   Online: 1160
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    371
    Images
    15
    I just sign using a soft pencil. I have no idea why I'm the odd man out. An original painting I have by Howard Butterworth is also signed in pencil.

    What's the big deal with ink?

    Graham.

  2. #12
    Dave Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,049
    Quote Originally Posted by gbroadbridge
    I just sign using a soft pencil. I have no idea why I'm the odd man out. An original painting I have by Howard Butterworth is also signed in pencil.

    What's the big deal with ink?

    Graham.
    Hi Graham,

    It really depends on where your signing the print, most of Roberts stuff is done in color and I would imagine without white borders, the paint type pens makes it far easier to sign on the emulsion of the print without causing damage to the print, most of my work is color and the galleries I work with do not want the mat signed, but require I sign on the lower right hand corner in a non-removable type ink or paint, the gold and the silver show up well and are non-removable.

    Dave

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    195
    Images
    2
    I overmat my prints with a 1/2 inch white border of the paper showing, and sign and number the print in that border. For the Chrystal Archive, the Micron and Staedtler pens, which feature archival pigment inks work well. I favor the 0.1 point to make the signature as inobstrusive as possible. For non-photo papers (as in inkjet), those pens don't track smoothly on the paper surface, so I find the Sakura Gelly Roller, which also features pigment inks, a nice alternative.

    If you are uncertain, I suggest you take a scrap of the paper you plan to use to your local art supply store and try out the various pigment (that's what you want for achivability) ink pens to see which performs the best.

  4. #14
    Whiteymorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,325
    Images
    26
    I preface this with the note that I am a painter and a traditional printmaker (etching, intaglio, serigraph.)

    That said, nothing should be signed with a pen. Pencil signatures are "required" on traditional work.

    OK... Old Fart rant over

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    371
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange
    I preface this with the note that I am a painter and a traditional printmaker (etching, intaglio, serigraph.)

    That said, nothing should be signed with a pen. Pencil signatures are "required" on traditional work.

    OK... Old Fart rant over
    Thankyou - Permanent marker or pen indeed !!!

    Another old Phart

  6. #16
    Dave Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,049
    Whitey,

    I agree,but the question was asked about an entirely different medium...

    Dave

  7. #17
    roteague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,672
    Images
    18
    I will be signing on the emulsion; prints to be done on Fuji Crystal Archive.

    FWIW, there seems to be an unfortunate assumption that all images on APUG are B&W. I say unfortunate, because I work almost exclusively in color. It seems whenever I or someone else asks a question, if it isn't asked on one of the color forums, everyone assumes B&W - a medium which holds very little interest for me. BTW, has anyone noticed that there are 0 color landscapes on the new APUG gallery -I think this illlustrates my point. I don't mean this in a negative way, there are many excellent B&W photographers here, but there needs to be a realization that not everyone works in B&W.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

  8. #18
    Dave Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,049
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I will be signing on the emulsion; prints to be done on Fuji Crystal Archive.

    FWIW, there seems to be an unfortunate assumption that all images on APUG are B&W. I say unfortunate, because I work almost exclusively in color. It seems whenever I or someone else asks a question, if it isn't asked on one of the color forums, everyone assumes B&W - a medium which holds very little interest for me. BTW, has anyone noticed that there are 0 color landscapes on the new APUG gallery -I think this illlustrates my point. I don't mean this in a negative way, there are many excellent B&W photographers here, but there needs to be a realization that not everyone works in B&W.
    Here, Here Robert,

    That was my point many posts ago, I as well work in Color 99% of the time shooting chrome and then printing, and I as well sign my prints on the emulsion...

    Dave

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,243
    Images
    9

    Your outa the club

    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I will be signing on the emulsion; prints to be done on Fuji Crystal Archive.

    FWIW, there seems to be an unfortunate assumption that all images on APUG are B&W. I say unfortunate, because I work almost exclusively in color. It seems whenever I or someone else asks a question, if it isn't asked on one of the color forums, everyone assumes B&W - a medium which holds very little interest for me. BTW, has anyone noticed that there are 0 color landscapes on the new APUG gallery -I think this illlustrates my point. I don't mean this in a negative way, there are many excellent B&W photographers here, but there needs to be a realization that not everyone works in B&W.
    Sorry RObert but this proves you are unworthy. To be truely professional you must contact print, on AZO, Develope only in AMidol personally blessed by MAS, Dry mount on WHITE 12 ply rag board made in a clean room, and Sign only the mount. Any derivation only proves your wanna be status.

    On a serious note

    I use an archival marker I bought a long time ago from Light Impressions, that the writing hase sense worn off, and sign both on the back of the image and in the lower right corner. I write small since my color prints are small, and the ink is black. I don't want to draw too much attention to my name.

    I sign on the back because I was told to by a prof, and I just got in the habit. Like all habits there really is not a lot of reason behind it anymore.

    I'm afraid you color shooters just are not.

    Just my two cents worth
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

    So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

  10. #20
    roteague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,672
    Images
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Here, Here Robert,

    That was my point many posts ago, I as well work in Color 99% of the time shooting chrome and then printing, and I as well sign my prints on the emulsion...

    Dave


    I guess I have had my rant for the day. Oh well, I'm off to shoot 4x5 Velvia on the North Shore this afternoon.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin