Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,728   Online: 895

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Pens for Signing Prints

Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of pens to use for signing prints and where to get one? Mostly I will be signing on Fiji Crystal Archive prints; I think a nice gold colored one would work.

Thanks for all your feedback,
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Micron makes simple, fine, black archival ones. I like 'em. I bet you could find them on Oahu.

If you want to do gold, I guess you need to get archival ink and a nibbed dip pen. Do a Google search on archival inks maybe?

Good luck!
    Imke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Pelican fountain pen filled with India ink.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use a "Sakura Pen-touch Silver Extra Fine Point" pen. As noted, it has silver ink, but there were gold ones there to choose if I had wanted one. It's like a paint maker pen with a very fine tip. When you push the nib into the pen, it pumps ink into the nib. I use it to sign my Kodak Endura Metallic paper prints.

I bought it at the local art supply shop in Kalgoorlie, so I'm sure you could find something similar in your neighbourhood.

Mine is 0.7mm, but I think I'd prefer a 0.5mm tip. When I can overcome my inertia, I'll do something about it.

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Colour prints can be signed in a dark corner simply by moistening that corner, and signing with an empty (thin) ball point pen or similar. This will scratch the emulsion allowing the lighter base to shine through. Permanent, cheap, fully archival - what could be better?

Of course, you need a dark corner to sign in, but that's the only drawback I've found.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of pens to use for signing prints and where to get one? Mostly I will be signing on Fiji Crystal Archive prints; I ,
    I use a Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph. They have a cornocopia (ahh, almost turkey day in the US) of different colored inks. The smaller the print, the thinner the nib I use. You can get a brand new set on Ebay for a 1/4 the price.

Sanford Gold Coat slim tip work and I use DecoColor Liquid Silver which probably makes gold as well.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both Gold and Silver pens that I use on my prints, I picked them up at Office Max, and if I remember correctly they were made by Sanford, they are thin tipped paint pens, very nice for this type of thing and are permanete

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert, there is a Creative Memories store in Honolulu.

Creative Memories-Honolulu
    Address: 2528 Liliha St, Honolulu, HI 96817
    Phone: (808) 595-4668

They will carry all kinds of archival permanent pens... of every nib size you can imagine. The best source for some of these things is almost always a scrapbooking store. Bring in a print you could experiment on & I'll bet the store clerks will be more than happy to help you find what you are looking for.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for your ideas. I'll check into them.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin