Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,067   Online: 921

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Software for archiving negatives?

Hi,

Wondering of anyone knows of any simple software I could use to create a database of my negatives so I could search on key words and find the one I want?

Thanks

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt,

Take a look at IView. It is a very good cataloging application.

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/products/

Allen

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    AllenR and Matt
    this is why I like APUG, I was thinking lately of the same thing as matt and now a link has been provided.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A potentially less expensive option would be to give serious thought to how much time you want to spend maintaining the image-description database, recognizing that any wavering of dedication renders the database almost useless. An ancillary question relates to the longevity of software and operating systems.

As you might guess from my gloomy attitude toward the subject, I've tried this a couple of times, and eventually decided it wasn't worth the time or effort - for me. I now use a naming scheme for images and the PrintFile sheets that gets me to the subject matter or location quickly, grouping them by general category.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a much better system, I now keep all my negatives in one building; so I know exacctly where they are.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use FileMaker Pro for my database of edition prints and negatives. It is completely customizable (complete with photos) for whatever database needs you may have. I find it to be an excellent overall solution.

See it at:

http://www.filemaker.com/

Bill

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I use Commence by Commence Corp, (a Personal Information Manager first marketed by IBM as Current). Commence has design software that make it easy to create databases, reports, displays, etc., based upon my own requirements and desires. I've been using it for over 10, maybe even close to 20 years.
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use an old film box and a handfull of 3x5 cards.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    A potentially less expensive option would be to give serious thought to how much time you want to spend maintaining the image-description database, recognizing that any wavering of dedication renders the database almost useless.
    A few years ago, I started writing my own program to maintain my image database. After about a year of working on it, I realized I was spending all my time writing the darn thing, and not enough time photographing. During this development process, I realized that it was going to require more time to maintain the database than I was willing to invest. I also found out that I have a good memory for images, so I keep my images in print file sleeves and just take them out and put them on the light table when I need something.

However, I do use a computer system for some aspects of my business. It is custom written, runs on a Windows web server, using Microsoft SQL Server.

Robert
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Holga
    VI + grep.

(it's a unix thing)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin