Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,297   Posts: 1,681,487   Online: 880

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format

time to load

Are you all saying that the time it takes a site to load pictures is related to the 'fanciness' ? If I remove the slideshow and flash between the pictures, will it be faster and easier?
    Thanks for taking the time to look at the site.
    Patricia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Patricia,
    I would like to commend you on first subscribing prior to asking this question. It shows a great deal of class.

As for the web site.
    There is a discipline within web development called Information Architecture. The premise of IA is that a site should be designed for the overlap of your business goals, the end user's expectations or goals and the availability of assets and technology.

AI would suggest which technology, the labeling of buttons, design of icons the click path, size of the files and of course content.

Having said that --Most of my comments here can be discounted unless I am your intended audience -- I still wonder:

1. Is Flash what your customer expects? It is not needed for the functionality. Everything including the image transitions could be done with CSS, and JavaScript and it would be faster.
    2. Is download an issue for your audience?
    3. Does the extra window enhance your goal or the user experience? I would think so as far as the galleries are concerned. It helps to focus the user's attention. It is detrimental for Info, too much for contact and exhibitions.
    4. Is Info a descriptive enough label for the content it contains? I don't think so and I believe this is the weakest part of the site. I can only imagine that the site is intended to be as much a sales tool as an exhibition area. The services that you provide are not well displayed nor intuitively accessed.
    5. Are the icons, 'iconic' and are they intuitively located in the portfolio section? I can't answer this, but I did click a few times until I understood what was doing what.

Two other things that are (maybe) less subjective.

First the letter kerning of the 'P' and the 'a' in your first name is too fat. The 'a' should tuck under the 'P.' (the same could be said for the 'L' and 'a' of your last name, but this is more or less taste)

Second: Scroll bars are considered pretty well established and mature interface devices. It is important, that when you make a your own version that it operate identically to the common variety. When it comes to scrollbars there is no differences between audiences.

What is good about the site. It is professional and attractive in appearance, and contains great photography.

I would put greater emphasis on your services, by breaking-up Info and placing it in the main window. I would put exhibition and contact in the main window as well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm with most of the posters above - get rid of the Flash, and just use plain ole' html+css (which you can do with any sort of authoring tool). The popups are distracting, and lead to a disjointed experience with the website - you click a link, up pops a window, you close the window, etc.

Why not just split the content into a set of pages, and go with that? I think it would be a nicer experience...simple always wins, in my opinion.

You have some nice images there. Make them a big larger, lose the Flash, and you've got yourself a nice website.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Patricia,

I'm a Design Snob. Not because I particularly enjoy it but after art school and doing graphic design for a living it just comes natural

There have been some good comments to your site but the information mrcallow has given is the only one you need to remember. Print it out, read it, tape it to your fridge and then read it again before you do anything else.

I'm kind of suprised actually. On the photo forums, the comments I see about site critiques is keep things simple (always good advice) and flash haters. Being a great photographer usually means you stink at everything else. If you're good enough to actually sell your work, you should be paying someone to design a site for you. Better still is to trade for it.

I know it's hard when you're so close to the work, so try to keep thinking about the big picture and keep at it.

Alan.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. They are consistent enough that I plan to use them. What has been particularly helpful is mrcallow's explanation of why simple is better, instead of 'flash is tedious'. I will go back to the person who constructed my site with these recommendations, although it may have to wait until the new year since we are coming into exams and Christmas.
    I have learned a great deal, so thanks again.
    Patricia

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would have to agree with what the others have said. I had to wait until I could see your site at work. My dialup connection at home is too slow to get past one pic on the front page.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    8x10 Format

not a techie

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Langer
    Are you all saying that the time it takes a site to load pictures is related to the 'fanciness' ? If I remove the slideshow and flash between the pictures, will it be faster and easier?
    Thanks for taking the time to look at the site.
    Patricia
    Hi Patricia,
    I viewed your website and I think it is classy. Others have given you some good suggestions about design, but regarding your statement above, it took less than 2 seconds for each image to load on my computer, which is the most basic of high speeds. I like the flash...it gives a sense of anticipation. Good luck with your site.
    Cory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin