Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,914   Online: 1043

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images

I need your opinions on prices for the APUG Sales Gallery PLEASE!!!

Good morning to all of you. I trust you are having a great Friday so far. All opinions are welcome to this question. I have 2 prints for sale in the Apug Sales Gallery (it will be 2, as soon as the second one is approved). My question is this... The prints are 3.25 x 4.25 inches mounted and matted to 5 x 7 inch. They are Selenium toned on fiber paper. Is $45.00 too much or too little for prints this size? I want to keep my prices as low as possible so everyone can enjoy my work. I feel everyone should be able to enjoy Photography at a reasonable price. So, should I make prices higher or keep them where they are? I do not want anyone to think that low prices means low quality work. I spend a lot of time in the darkroom and I always give my work my best effort. Thank you very much for your time and your opinions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brick and Vines 1.jpg   Flower On Table 2.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Are they framed too?
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    No frames.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matthewt
    I'm thinking price is relative. If you think you are giving fair value for the buyer and receiving fair value for your labor, then you're in the ballpark.
    It is, after all a bargaining process.
    I don't think that you would want to go much less than the price you've set although in the past I have seen some prints at the $20-25 level(several years ago)
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only you can say (you knew we were going to say that didn't you! ). I certainly would not go any lower than your suggested price. I guess it really depends on your view of your work and your reasons for selling it. Keep it accessibly priced to aim for a wide distribution, or give it a premium price that more accurately reflects the value that you feel others should place on it...

It did occur to me that you might like to think about matting to 8x10 or even larger. Small prints on large mats can look very good - small mats can look stingy....

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Thank you Bob and John. I appreciate your opinions and suggestions. It is funny you mention about matting to 8 x 10. I was just thinking that myself. I think I will make the changes in the gallery to reflect that. Thank you very much. I wish you both a great weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that you need to go with a larger mat. A larger mat will help isolate the print and bring the viewer in when working with small print sizes. A large mat and frame in relation to the print draws attention to the work when hanging.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I generally charge 225% over the cost of materials for my framed prints. Since I am not going to be placing anything in the APUG gallery, I haven't really figured out my pricing for unframed prints yet.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Thank you Jim and Roteague. I have made the appropriate changes in the gallery. I will be offering them matted to 8 x 10 for starters to see how things go. Thanks to all for your input.....Matthewt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin