Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,154   Online: 822

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cleaning a dry mount press platten

I just scored a Seal Jumbo 160M from a local University surplus dept for US$30.

The platten has a fair amount of caked dry mount residue on it. I'm assuming oven cleaner would be the recommended way to clean it. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

-KwM-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why not just heat it up and scrape it off with a razor then after it cools down, use thinners or a wax stripper?

Dry mount is a wax based substance, any floor wax stripper will cut it as well as any paint thinner ****but don't use these if the platten is hot****
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I cleaned mine with naphtha. If you're going to do this, obviously do it in a well ventilated area with the press unplugged, and don't plug it in until everything has evaporated.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Seal used to make a drymount press platen cleaner. I bought some from Calumet years ago. Google Seal (or are they part of Bienfang now) or call Calumet to see if the product still exists.

Joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I had the same problem. I scraped the thick stuff off when it was hot, and got the rest off when it cooled down with wire wool that also brings it up like new.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    I just scored a Seal Jumbo 160M from a local University surplus dept for US$30.

The platten has a fair amount of caked dry mount residue on it. I'm assuming oven cleaner would be the recommended way to clean it. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

-KwM-
    I'd stay away from oven cleaner...most of those cleaners have a pretty sizeable amount of NaOH and the plattens are often aluminum.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    try light impressions, they sell various drymounting supplies

Images
    Good Afternoon, KWM.

Isopropyl alcohol, steel wool, and lots of elbow grease. Joe is right about the Seal Platen Cleaner. It's now called Bienfang Platen Cleaner and the latest Calumet catalog lists it (p. 112) at a mere $31.90 for a 2 oz. jar, so I assume that it must be absolutely superb stuff!

The topic of platen cleaning has appeared in various previous APUG threads; a Search should give a lot of information.

Konical

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here's a link to how I cleaned up the platen on a Seal Commercial 200

http://destarr.com/notes.html#press

Shooter
    35mm
    I would take off what I whatever deposits I could. For me it would not make a great deal of difference since I use a clean and smooth mount board above and below the print and the mount board it is being mounted on.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin