Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,802   Online: 1072

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Tube or Flat Mailer

When sending unmatted photographs, say 11x14, do you place them in a tube or put them in a 11x14 flat mailer?

The tube is very ridged, the flat mailer is quite able to be bent.

Pete
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I send everything in a box mailer. Allows the print to be flat plus fights off dings and dents pretty well during handling, since the print is pretty loose inside - surrounded with soft crumped tissue paper for support.

An added factor is that the box packaging from USPS is free!

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i don't know how one could keep a print from damaged rolled up in a tube.

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    If I look at the habits of the labs I use, both routes are possible and both seem to get the print(s) to the buyer well enough provided they are well packed.

The thing that always goes through my mind when receiving a consignment however is this. After I've looked at the prints I'm going to want to put them back into their packaging until I need to deliver them to a buyer/framer. Its far easier to put them back into a flat package than to re-roll.

Above a certain size of course tubes are the only viable option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been an organizer of an international print club for a long time. As such, I've seen lots of mailing techniques. The one that I like best is as follows. Place the print in a plastic sleeve, one which won't harm the prints. Next, put the print into a Kraft paper photographic mailer of the appropriate size, such as those found here: http://www.packagingprice.com/forms/...+Mailers+Kraft Finally, sandwich the mailer between at least two sheets of high quality cardboard, such as found here: http://www.packagingprice.com/forms/...ads+and+Sheets
    For overseas shipments or big prints, I use more sheets of cardboard.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    i don't know how one could keep a print from damaged rolled up in a tube.
    Take a cardboard tube and wrap the print around it, then cover the outside with bubble wrap, and put into a box. This is how West Coast Imaging sends 30x40 inch prints and bigger to me.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Flat has always worked for me. I take the print and seal it in a archival sleeve and sandwich it between two pieces of foam-core. For an 11x14 print, I would use a 12x16 size foam core, tape the sandwich securely and then place it in a sturdy envelope. Works pretty well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    West Coast Imaging does an excellent job of packaging. For smaller prints (I think 20x24" and smaller), they put an interleaving sheet on top of the print, put the whole thing in an archival plastic sleeve, tape it to a sheet of corrugated cardboard with a border around it, and package so that there are two sheets of corrugated cardboard on each side of the print, and the whole thing goes into another corrugated cardboard box. If there are negs, transparencies, or disks, they sleeve them and tape them between two of the other sheets of cardboard. The package is very sturdy.

For 11x14's (unmounted prints or smaller prints mounted to 11x14") I've found some nice sturdy mailing boxes they sell at Staples.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ok, thank you all very much! It looks like flat is the preferred method for this size.

I appreciate all the input.

Pete
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Images
    If you think they are insured, read the fine print. They will take your money, but only Fedx gives any back for a claim, and then only $100.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin