Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,723   Online: 981

Shooter
    Medium Format

Using baking parchment as drymount release paper

In a holy rush to get some new prints (Ilford MGIV warmtone DW) flat for mounting for a show, I borrowed a drymount press. But alas - I had none of the necessary silicone release paper - and none could be obtained on a weekend.

What I discovered (through a lucky guess and testing on some prints that didn't make the cut) is that silicone-treated baking parchment works just as well (at about 1/10 the cost). It didn't mess up the gloss finish of the paper, which would have been a huge disaster. So at least one aspect of pressing has become more practical (and cheaper).

In all fairness, though, I should attribute this discovery to the fact that the only place in my house capable of supporting a 16x20 Tecnal press was the kitchen counter above the drawer containing aluminum foil, wax paper and other similar products!

Cheers and happy holidays!
    Dante

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, Dante! I'm going to try this out soon ...

Cheers,

David

I used parchment paper as the release paper until I ruined some prints. The print had a mottled appearance; some parts had a very high gloss and other parts had a more matt appearance. This problem had never occured since I started using real release paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmmm ...

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am of the opinion that the best way to drymount prints is to use 2 pieces of clean matt board with the print and its drymount tissue and mount board sandwitched in between. I have not ever ruined a print using this method.

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format

Are you talking about the same parchment paper?

Baking parchment not parchment paper per se; it is a smooth-surfaced, silicone treated paper. It doesn't have a texture to it, and it didn't affect glossy paper (3 minutes @350 F). I was using "If you care" brand from Finland - unbleached.

I use matt board on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Josef Guay
    I used parchment paper as the release paper until I ruined some prints. The print had a mottled appearance; some parts had a very high gloss and other parts had a more matt appearance. This problem had never occured since I started using real release paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format

flattening only...

This is flattening, not mounting.

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    I am of the opinion that the best way to drymount prints is to use 2 pieces of clean matt board with the print and its drymount tissue and mount board sandwitched in between. I have not ever ruined a print using this method.

lee\c

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    for me I use the same method the print goes in between the two boards and then I close the press. My temp is sat for about 190F. The print stays in the press for about 30 sec and then is cooled in the room face down

lee\c

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've used the same method as Lee for many years. It helps eliminate the small dents that come from trash on the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    for me I use the same method the print goes in between the two boards and then I close the press. My temp is sat for about 190F. The print stays in the press for about 30 sec and then is cooled in the room face down

lee\c
    Ron
    Memphis

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin