Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,571   Online: 1082

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

gallery image placement heights.... and spacing of images....

I did a search and nothing seemed to come up. so I thought Id start a thread about it.

Im curious about the placement and heigth of displaying photographs in a gallery space.
    Im having my first show and before I go in and talk with the curator I wanted to get a good idea of the opinions and "standards" for what height and distance between images etc.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    I did a search and nothing seemed to come up. so I thought Id start a thread about it.

Im curious about the placement and heigth of displaying photographs in a gallery space.
    Im having my first show and before I go in and talk with the curator I wanted to get a good idea of the opinions and "standards" for what height and distance between images etc.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance.
    There was a discussion about this in the LF forum. If I recall correctly I think the consensus was to hang the pictures so that a person of "normal" height can see them comfortably. I hang mine so that the top of the pictures is 5'11'' high. I figure this way people anywhere from 5'7" to 6'2" can see them resonably comfortably without suffering neck pains....

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    makes perfect (and obvious sense) jorge. likely the reason I couldnt determine it myself

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi Matt,

I usually hang prints at 59" to the center of the image.

How far apart varies on the size of the artwork. 8x10's can be closer together than 7x17. I would say between 7x17 images should be 16" - 18" apart. If they are part of a grouping of images which are thematic they can be closer so long as when the theme changes there is significant room between prints so as not to confuse.

Still larger prints need more space than 18"

I like to space out horizontals and verticals so as to keep things interesting.
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    thanks steve. I was going to email you abotu this but luckily you already caught it here. Im going to have an interesting situation with this show. I think Ideally Id want to space them like you said between 12-18" between prints but doing that and having the small wall space constraints Id end up with literally maybe 5 prints to show. As Id like to show more than that I may have to make some compromises and space them tighter horizontally so I can manage to show more of the big collection of prints I have.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Matt

If your 7x17's are matted 15x25 or there abouts you can mount them one over the other. It works especially when you hang a vertical next to the double hanging of pano's. In the end you want to have a broad selection of your work, just don't crowd it in. Leave the public wanting more.

Good Luck
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    that was/is the plan steve. Ive managed to narrow the garden series down to 22 images total. I will likely hang 12-15 of them and grouping two horizontals together will help to make the 12-15 number possible. it works with the verticals as well. thanks for the ideas and suggestions. the 59" centering is a good one. when you hang two horizontals stacked do you place the 59" centering vertically right between the two?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Good insights everyone. Thank you. It is a subject I have given a lot of thought to lately; I have a display of mixed size prints going up at a local gallery; 1 30x40, 2 20x24 and 6 11x14, so I have been thinking about how these should be displayed.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've been involved in a lot of student type presentations over the past 4 years - one thing that really stood out well was a well placed layout of text and pictorial elements (regardless of the content) ... I couldn't say there were any rules just common sense and an eye for composition which most photographers have a few or more ideas on in the first place ...

- not necessarily directed at those who have posted in this thread already but anyone else reading and thinking about gimmicky mountings and 'bits' to make your exhibition stand out - they make me consciously avoid it.

... just a cynical (failed) students rant (;
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is good information...also, don't forget to spend time looking at other exhibits and how they are presented. Know this does not help you Matt (are you getting pumped?), but it is something I have really started to look at with each exhibit I view. One thing I have noted, since I am 5'9" (which seems to be an average height, except in the NBA) most work is at eye level. The space between prints seems to vary, but the one big show I have seen using pano format did indeed place prints one over (below) the other. There was some logic to the prints that were paired togother so the above comments from Steve is right on (not that Steve needs my confirmation). As to print info, please be sure that you have it posted, but as was mentioned, not cute stuff - just a brief description seems to work best, besides if they want detail tell 'em to buy the book (which will be the next step, right Matt )
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin