Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,052   Posts: 1,561,204   Online: 1037

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Mr Blansky, are you saying that Mona Lisa was a comissioned portrait? Are you saying that Mona Lisa was a real person? Are you say the Leo from Vinci made big bucks on this painting?
    Not sure. But the point was made that people usually aren't interested in portraits commissioned by other people. Which is true.

But the old masters painted a lot of commissioned portraits and today they are in the collections of a lot of interested parties.

That was my point.

As for Leo, I hope he charged a lot. I'd feel pretty sad if he gave his stuff away for the equivalence of $20 today.

Van Goch (sp?) selling only one picture is rather heartbreaking.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Van Goch (sp?) selling only one picture is rather heartbreaking.

Michael
    Especially when you consider that "Starry Night" is considered one of the two or 3 most valuable pintings in history. I think I have read that if offered for auction it would fetch upwards of $200 million dollars.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser
    ...Even if someone is charging an elitest price for a print doesn't mean they're actually making much money from it, especially for the investment of time.
    Just out of interest, could you afford one of your own prints? Have you ever bought a print at the price that your prints are sold at?

Thanks,
    Helen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Just out of interest, could you afford one of your own prints? Have you ever bought a print at the price that your prints are sold at?

Thanks,
    Helen
    The answer may well be no, Helen. By the same token, have you ever hired anyone to make a personal movie for you for what you charge (I understand this is your profession)? I have never hired anyone to write for me for what I charge corporate clients - it is entirely possible that Michelangelo would not have been able to afford to hire someone to paint his own ceiling the way that he painted the Sistine Chapel!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks,
    Helen
    Yes... several. I love them all.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Helen,

Many people who build cars can't afford one. Selling your labor does not mean that you can afford to purchase a similar labor from someone else. Whether you should or shouldn't be able, you most likely aren't.

I used to frame artwork for a living, but I could never pay what I charged for it. And I was never paid what I charged for it either, but that's what the job was like (and that's what gallery representation turns out to be like as well). I've only framed 2 of my photographs, and both were done at large discounts at the shop I worked at.

Unfortunately, this is not like agriculture, where you can grow some corn and eat it too. I hang some of my own photographs in my house, and have managed to trade photographs with others whose work I admire. But I cannot afford to purchase a print (and later frame it).

Just my 2c.

André

Not to put words in Helen's mouth but I think she like the accessibility of having prints available to everyone. Not just the elite or rich.

In my business and for personal work, I don't discount what I do for friends or anyone. My price is my price. But what I may do for friends is give them prints as gifts. The thinking being, a $1000 prints is never discounted to say $300, it is instead a $1000 gift.

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, Michael, if I were able to afford it I would love a print of W. Churchill made by Karsh...not to mention many others that he photographed. I would love to own prints of portraits made by A. Adam's..altough not much, if any was done on commision. Seems to me a fellow that lived around Carmel Ca. was a portrait photographer and I would not much mind some of his work either. A guy by the name of Smith and another by the name of Parks, and others, once did some work for hire by a magazine by the name of Life, some of which meets my definitions of portraits..I would love to be able to afford those also.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Well, Michael, if I were able to afford it I would love a print of W. Churchill made by Karsh...not to mention many others that he photographed. I would love to own prints of portraits made by A. Adam's..altough not much, if any was done on commision. Seems to me a fellow that lived around Carmel Ca. was a portrait photographer and I would not much mind some of his work either. A guy by the name of Smith and another by the name of Parks, and others, once did some work for hire by a magazine by the name of Life, some of which meets my definitions of portraits..I would love to be able to afford those also.

I think I'm missing your point.

But I think a portrait done by commission by a photographer for the personal use of the subject, as is what most portrait photographers do, is not the same as what you have described.

Karsh's Churchill was done at the request of Karsh. He snagged dignitaries passing through the capital of Canada probably as a great way to promote himself and his work. He had access to these people and worked much the same way as celebrity photographers would work today. They call on celebrities and try to get them to sit for them so that they can show a body of work of celebrities.

I'm not sure about the others you mentioned. People who shot for LIFE and other publications were not shooting at the request of the subject but instead for the publication in LIFE.

In my response I was answering someone who pointed out that most people would not be interested in buying the work of portrait photographers because it was not necessarily relavent to them having pictures of someone elses family on their wall. I agreed to that but added that later on those pictures do become part of the collections of unrelated parties. His point was that TODAYS portrait types almost exclusively do work of and for the person that hired them.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks,
    Helen
    Helen, I have bought work of other artists that are in the same price range of my work.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin