Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,537   Posts: 1,544,258   Online: 762

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the reply.

I think that Michael made the correct interpretation of my question – probably better than I did when I asked it. I had read Early Riser's sad tale of what a hard life he led and that was the question that popped into my head, out of plain curiosity as far as I could tell. If I had had a hidden agenda, it was hidden to me as well.

As far as being able to buy my own labour, I’m in exactly the same position as anyone else who sells her or his labour, except that I’d try to find someone less ditzy and with more drive.

This all reminds me of when I lived in the Chelsea Hotel. I wonder if the most some people ever got for their paintings was when they gave them to Stanley (the owner) in lieu of back rent. Some people get approved by the Art Mafia so the clueless know what to buy, some people produce work that is easy to digest as art and some people pursue their offbeat vision and survive however they can. Good luck to them all.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    .... Some people get approved by the Art Mafia so the clueless know what to buy, some people produce work that is easy to digest as art and some people pursue their offbeat vision and survive however they can. Good luck to them all.
    Thanks for that Helen, do not recall hearing the term Art Mafia, since my college days (mid 70's)....brought a smile to my face. Shame is the statement is as true today as it was then....guess it will always be that way.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just out of interest, could you afford one of your own prints? Have you ever bought a print at the price that your prints are sold at?

Thanks,
    Helen
    I think an even more important question that we need to ask ourselves is "do we buy the work of other photographers?" The prominent photographic teacher, Fred Picker, said the following in one of his news letters:
    "There is no such thing as a good photographer who doesn't collect photographs and see exhibits any more than there exists a good musician who never buys a recording or goes to a concert or a writer who doesn't read."

We shouldn't expect others to value analog photography if we only adorn our walls with our own personal analog work. Every good musician worth his salt has a vast music collection. Most starving writers have a decent library or a well used library card. I regularly buy photography (especially color because I don't think I do it that well and I enjoy the work of others). I think you can only lead by example and that is periodically buying the work of other photograpers whose works contribute to your enjoyment and support of the craft. APUG creates a very special opportunity because you can trade with others thereby keeping costs competitive. I have 3 fine pieces that I obtained from APUG members.
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had read Early Riser's sad tale of what a hard life he led...

I thought it sounded easy... I sleep in my car a lot of the time!

In all fairness, he does travel like a madman from what he has told me. But you did make it sound a bit drab Brian! I love being on the road working and am thankful for every minute I get out there. It does get old, but I am sure you will agree it beats what usually passes as a day-job.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the reply.

......I had read Early Riser's sad tale of what a hard life he led .......

Helen

Helen, I've never claimed that I have a hard life, in fact I feel blessed to have the life i do. However as fortunate as i am, does not mean that I do not work extremely long and hard at what I do and face a certain of risk both financial and physical in pursuing it.

It is downright expensive to travel as much as I do to shoot landscape photography. I am not shooting flowers in my backyard. And the amount that I have invested in equipment and facilities exceeds the cost of a good house. The costs of producing my images and prints are reflected in the price of those prints.

The galleries on their part have financial risk as well and that is why they have to believe that they can sell the work. There is no "art mafia", if a gallery owner likes your work and thinks they can sell it they'll represent you.

As for having my work available to the masses, they can go to IKEA or buy one from thousands of poster shops around the world. The price for the posters start at under $5.00 for the smallest sizes. How much more accessible can I make it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some people get approved by the Art Mafia so the clueless know what to buy, some people produce work that is easy to digest as art and some people pursue their offbeat vision and survive however they can. Good luck to them all.
    Very well said! BTW, the art in the lobby of the Chelsea Hotel runs a fantastic gamut. If some or all of it is in lieu of rent it's the most wonderful deal in NYC; the owner is a major prince among men.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill, last year I stayed in North America, but managed to hit 36 states and 7 ( or 8?) provinces of Canada in 20 weeks of travel. Sorry if I made it sound drab but after a while it really is a grind, especially when one is alone for all that time. I mean how many times can you sing "a hundred bottles of beer on the wall" by yourself? Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't trade my life for anything, but my satisfaction with it, as you well know, doesn't mean it doesn't require effort

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John wrote: "...the art in the lobby of the Chelsea Hotel runs a fantastic gamut..."

Oh, that lobby! There's plenty more on the walls of all the floors and the staircase. The place is covered in the stuff. Pause a moment in the double mirrors as you go though the entrance doorway.

Best,
    Helen

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin