Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,685   Online: 743

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    LOL.....If I sold a pt/pd print for $20 I would be loosing money after I factor in shipping, customs taxes, gas, and materials.

I sort of agree with Jensen in the sense that a $1500 print is way out of my range, heck even a $500 or $600 print is too much for my wallet. For example I would love to buy a Bill Schwab or Early riser (Brian Kosoff) print, but I cannot afford them. OTOH keeping to these examples the photographers usually have to shell out 50% of the price to the gallery, high prices like this leaves them with a reasonable profit once all the costs are factored in.

It is all well and good for Jensen to sell prints at $20 when he has a direct outlet for his work, the rest of us who depend on an alternative medium to present the work (for which we have to pay) would be dumb to price the prints at so low a price that we would end up loosing money.

The low price argument fails to take into account the difficulty to make interesting images on a consistent basis and with regularity. I cant speak for anybody else but in my case I know that out of 6 to 8 negatives I only get one good shot, or at least one good shot I am proud to exhibit. I have to factor in the cost of those other 6 shots into the price of a print I sell.

In a perfect world, if every shot I took was a winner I would rather sell 100 prints at $40 than 1 print at $4000, but reality has a way to rear it's ugly head, I cannot afford to price my prints this low and sell only 5 or 6, this would not pay the cost of making the prints and negatives, let alone leave me a small profit!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    The author is a troll. The publication obviously needed to fill space if they put that story out.

I hope they paid him the $20 for his time at the typewriter.

Matt
    He is the editor of said magazine.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Anyone selling prints for $20 is either driven entirely by vanity, or has absolutely no grasp of business, or both. My main business is as a translator/journalist. I make $350 for every day I sit at my desk. My costs are a new computer every 4 years, consumable materials, occasional other hardware and heat and light for my office (which is in my house). To earn the same at $20 per print, I would need to sell 17.5 prints day, 5 days a week, 47 weeks a year. In fact, it would need to be more, since I would need to factor in the unpredictability of the British weather and that on many days I fail to get a single usable landscape shot. I would never sell prints for this price, I would lose money on each one, and the more I sold, the more I would lose. People who do "sell" (in fact, give away) prints at this price do great harm to the cause of art photography.
    Last edited by David H. Bebbington; 01-12-2006 at 03:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    LOL.....If I sold a pt/pd print for $20 I would be loosing money after I factor in shipping, customs taxes, gas, and materials.
    Jorge, if you sold your prints for only $20 then I wouldn't think much of your work, because your work is worth much, much more.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not trying to be smug or elitest, but I have to say, my slides and film from the past 20 years would make a hell of a great bon fire, which is what I would rather do with them before I cheapen the craft and art of photography for myself and my fellow photographers, I want the people that buy my pictures and art to appriciate them as an investment that they will look at with a warm feeling now and in the future, not a picture to say hey look what I bought to be forgot and cast aside, I would rather be a broke bottom feeder than a turn coat top feeder, with very few exceptions, $20 prints don't evoke emotion in me, or my circle of fellow photographers, we may sell a print to each other cheap, but that is different than selling to the public and hanging in galleries..when it comes time I can only sell my prints for $20 it will be time to sell the gear and move one.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    In a perfect world, if every shot I took was a winner I would rather sell 100 prints at $40 than 1 print at $4000, but reality has a way to rear it's ugly head, I cannot afford to price my prints this low and sell only 5 or 6, this would not pay the cost of making the prints and negatives, let alone leave me a small profit!
    You got that right.... I spent almost $5000 on my recent trip to New Zealand and Australia. I have perhaps 3 images that I think are worth hanging on a gallery wall - the rest is just good enough for stock sales.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    I was just wondering if anyone else had an opinion...
    Ask the publisher of the said magazine if you might purchase a minimum of an half-page for advertising sales of your art work for the same $20.00

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Being a business major I so want to scream "Supply and Demand!" but I shall refrain.

It depends on:
    1) What sort of market are you going for (Supply Demand here)
    2) Your cost
    3) How many units do you wish to sell (1 @ $100, 2 @ $50, etc. etc. )
    4) General market conditions

There are some photos of mine that I would sell for about $20 per 8 x 10 but those are mostly basic snaps I did for kicks that I got a good accident out of. Sending them to the lab for a few dollars to get an 8 x 10 made up doesn't take that much of my time either. There are also some photos of mine that I think are quite good as stock type photos

I've actually yet to price any of my work on my website but then much of my work isn't even up there yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The real effort in selling photos is in distribution and marketing: reaching your audience and persuading them to buy. Brooks Jensen gets that for free. In fact, in my opinion he is using his prints to sell magazines rather than the other way round.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about this; I would sell a print for $20.00, it would be listed on eBay and have a shipping and handling fee of $980.00.

It sounds like someone has a few pixels short of a full meg.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin