Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,487   Online: 887

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Do photographers charge way to much for their photos?

In one of the more well known photo publications, the author of a current article postulated that photographers charge way to much for their images. He believes photographers are elitist when they price into their work skill, experience and past success.

The author feels that $20 is a fair price for an 8x10 photograph based on the fact that a good meal at a bistro or a current release CD costs about $20 and that a 8x10 photograph will bring the purchaser about the same amount of pleasure.

Also at $20 dollars the photographer would sell many more photos because many more people could afford one or more images at a time.

I was just wondering if anyone else had an opinion...
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an opinion..

The author is a fool!

LOL

Besides a current release CD is NOT priced by the artist, the music distribution company does the pricing, as far as a good meal at a bistro, the cook don't price it the owner does....and they do it reflecting the costs of doing business as well as the profit they need to derive to stay in business, the meal will be with you for about 24 hours, the music will be with you until the next great singer or band is hot, the photograph could become a cherished part of a family handed down to the future generations...he is quite a bit out of touch...by time I travel, take the image, either do the processing or have it down for me, frame, matt and such, I have a hell of alot more into the image than $20, not to mention the schooling, the learning and being at the right place at the right time!

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just point that enlightened person towards a royalty free website for stock... give him $4 and tell him to plaster his walls with the 20 odd photos he can buy there.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well maybe he means $20 if you can crank em out of the inkjet printer a dozen at a time.
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The legacy of digital home printing Jim, even a digital print done professionally will cost more than $20 bucks, I myself am not in the business to sell pictures, but sell art, just as a master painter does, but myself am not interested in selling $20 pictures, not worth the time and effort that goes into them..$20 8x10's might be great for inserts in cheap frames, but is hardly worth the time of someone who does images for a living..

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think this particular author has espoused this position for quite sometime. Well, it is his opinion, and he has a right to it, but his opinion carries no weight with me. My printer charges $10 for an 8x10, and that doesn't count shipping or anything else - it certainly doesn't cover the items that Dave mentioned; like travel and life experience. This same author, I think is really trying to alienate a portion of his readership; the latest issue of his magazine, I picked up and promptly put back on the shelf (I usually buy it) because every single portfolio was captured digitally and printed on an ink jet printer - I really would prefer that he at least try to support those who use traditional materials.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well this person sells his own work through his publication for $20 a pixelgraph. If it is good enough for him it must be good enough for you.
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No, I don't like to sell my work like cheap "postcards".
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The author is a troll. The publication obviously needed to fill space if they put that story out.

I hope they paid him the $20 for his time at the typewriter.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    This same author, I think is really trying to alienate a portion of his readership.
    I wonder if he will alienate any of the contributors to his publication. The ones that have not got the message about $20 dollar prints but charge hundreds and thousands for their work. I guess maybe he just means the rest of us bottom feeders should only charge $20.
    Robert Adams

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin