Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,189   Online: 948

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Photos

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Mounting Photos

I was just wondering what size borders Apugers like their mounts to be.

I usually like 2 inches of a border for 10x8 prints. I am starting to print up to 20x16 and think that 4 or 5 inches would suit.

How much of a border do you like.?
    Do you make the bottom part bigger than the other 3 sides? (I have seen this but not sure if I like it)
    Is there a print size to border size ratio that you follow?

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use standard size mounts - 11x14 and 16x20. Print size is not standard - it is whatever the image requires. I start with standard size printing paper (8x10 and 11x14, and also 7x10 made by cutting 11x14 sheets in half and then trimming an inch off for use as test strips), but then mask down using my easel to frame the image to my satisfaction. Prints made on 8x10 or 7x10 paper usually go on 11x14 mounts, while prints made on 11x14 paper go on 16x20 mounts.

My standard is to center the image on the mount horizontally. I offset the image vertically just a bit - literally, I measure to determine exact vertical center placement, and then shift up a quarter of an inch or so. There's no exact formula - I know it's right when I see it.

Unfortunately, this means that I can't use standard pre-cut mats, and instead have to cut my own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Gotta love pre-cuts

I wish I could say I did more of my own printing, especially Ilfochrome and other prints from slides, but I don't. And because I don't, I tend to be very standard with my mattes. I usually use 16x20 mattes with an 11x14 opening. If I am going full frame, I'll do so with black borders on the image, a look I really like.
    The mattes are usually centered, and always pre-cut. If I can't find them standard and decide to go with a special border, which is unusual, I would even go to the lengths of having them pre-cut by light impressions since I so despise cutting mattes and am not good at it.
    So, fairly standard borders with a centered print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies.

I just want to add to my questions above: What colour mounts do you mostly like to use with B&W prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm lazy, too, and use standard pre-cuts - 11x14 for 8x10 prints and 16x20 for 11x14 prints. Most of the time I use "museum white" mattes, but occasionally use the black mattes.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use the pre-cuts as well because I can't afford a cutter and even if I could, I don't have enough space to handle whole sheets. I like the Museum Black and the Bright White, but keep hearing 'You should use white instead!' when I use the black... Oh, yeah, I get the 11x14 size for 8x10 prints and the 16x20 size for 11x14 prints.

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    it is considered common practice to have your window vertically off-center in the mat. How much is a matter of taste. The european/american standard is to have the bottom of the mat be the larger margin, and the top smaller; in asia, it is common to do the reverse. I usually offset mine by 1/2 to 1 inch, depending on size. As a general rule, larger borders look better, although using huge borders can start to look pretentious. If you are framing for exhibition, use at least 4 ply mat board, and if you can afford it, go for 8 ply. 8 ply is very heavy, and provides a very nice offset to your image, almost like doing a floating mount or a box frame. 8 ply is a pain to learn to cut. Get VERY good at cutting 4 ply before attempting 8 ply on your own.

As to color, the best color for a mat is white, off-white (cream, etc) museum gray or black. It all depends on the nature of the image. This holds true even for color photography. You do not want the color of the mat to visually affect the photograph, which using a colored mat will do.

Shooter
    35mm
    My typical print is 6-1/2x9-3/4 inches mounted on an 11x14 board. The print size may be different, if when I set up the camera and tripod, I decided not to use the full 35mm frame. This is accomplished with a print trimmer. I always mount the print above center. The reason for doing so is that prints that are center mounted give me the impression of being mounted below center.

Having a uniformity of mat board sizes is a great aid in storing prints. Some peiple really like a very large mat compared to the print..such as mounting an 8x10 on a 16x20 board.

My own objectives is to have a print that is easily viewable when handheld, easy to store and large enough to view decently upon the wall in my home. I live in a small flat. I may upon ocassion make a larger print. I tend to favor simple as opposed to complex compositions for my work. I avoid the tendency of trying to make an oversized, for my situation, enlargement.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use white for everything I do (just not bright white). I'm not opposed to others using whatever color they want, but for me, I'll take white mat board. I use standard size mats, but not standard sized windows (ok, standard windows maybe 10% of the time) so I have to cut my own. The advantage of this is that if an image you have doesn't quite work with an 8x10 or 11x14 opening, you can customize it to fit your tastes.

As far as window placement goes, I don't like center-cut windows for the most part. There are a number of ways to decide how offset you want the window. One way I've read of people doing is to make the top border the same as the side borders. That may not work all of the time. There are also websites that help you find "optical center" which again may or may not be to your taste. The best method I've found is to put a print on a matboard and move it until it looks good to you and then cut your window there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use standard sizes for prints up to 20x24, for bigger size prints (I go up to 30x40), I use 4 inches around. As for matting, I mostly use triple mounting (except for the 30x40s), with the middle mat being a color that is in harmony with the predominant color in the photograph, with a white upper mount. I use the Nielsen-Bainbridge ArtCare system, so if you look that up, you will get more information.

For framing, I generally prefer a warm colored wood, a light wood color, or in rare cases Koa (which is rare). I haven't mounted or framed B&W in over 20 years - these days I am strickly color.

BTW, my favorite size for prints is 20x24.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin