Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,640   Online: 1110

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have read everything I could find on the dry mount v. corner mount debate and have found that there are good arguments relating to "archival qualities" of both approaches. To me, it boils down to personal preference and your working methods.

I quit dry mounting prints about a year ago and moved to corner mounts behind window matts. The reasons: 1. Over the years I have ruined several dry mounted prints by dropping the mounted prints on their edge. The edge of the matt got banged up and looked terrible. A new window matt hides the flaw in a frame, but I could never sell the photo or show it out of a frame. I had to reprint the photographs and re-mount.

2. The matts tend to get dirty over time when they are handled. I like to replace the matts every so often, particularly for workshop prints or prints I show loose.

With corner mounting, if I mess up or the matt gets soiled, I just removed the photo from the matt and mount on new boards

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I personally hinge mount. Just make sure you don't store the print upside down.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used to dry mount my prints but have switched to corner mounts. I like the ability to remove prints easily and mount differently if I choose to do so. Even though the "archival" drymount tissue is supposed to allow you to un-mount the print, I haven't had much luck in doing so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    13 April 2006

I do not know if this is the right fourm to ask this, but here I go. Has anyone considered the 3M Positional Mounting Adhesive (PMA, adhesive #568). I have had tremendous luck with it holding a print flat, and after a little pressing it is a "permanent" mount. (It could be disolved using a mild organic solvent if necessary.) It is easy to use, and does not require a large press to work well. Iti is available from Light Impressions.

Any thoughts

Regards,
    Darwin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is an old saying that "a tattoo is something that you regret ten years later." The same can be said about a drymounted print. I know, I have some and I regret now mounting them that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by drpsilver
    3M Positional Mounting Adhesive (PMA, adhesive #568
    Does anyone know if it is considered archival?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems to me when this discussion gets around to what the galleries or whoever "requires" in a print, the tail is beginning to wag the dog. Has anyone been denied representation in a gallery, purchase by a collector or inclusion in an exibition because of the way they mount their print?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gerald,

As far as I know PMA is not archival and 3M never claimed that it was.

Richard,

I participate in a lot of Art and Art and Craft Shows (most of my income comes from these) and though I may be in a minority I archivally mount. After traveling particularly with framed photos for thousands of miles, I found that a T hinge works better than corners with mounting strips (they bunched up as they were pounded down by riding on the highway).

Archival mounting is what is recommended for photos of value and by Museums, Galleries, and Frame shops. As pointed out, though they can and often develop a wave, they are much easier to remount.

As to your selection of 2 ply mat boards for backing and for the window mats, I would definitely say that at least for the window mat that 2 ply is too thin. Personally I use 4 ply for backing and for double matting the window (for my editions and keeps more airspace from the glass). Some prefer a double mat, personally I think that it looks more elegant but, others do not like the appearance. Others use an 8 ply mat to maintain the air space between the photo and the glass.

Be aware, I do not believe that you can get a very good beveled 45 degree cut with 2 ply mats. Beveled cuts should look much better with a 4 or 8 ply mat.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by disfromage
    I will be using 2 ply board both for the backing and the mat.
    After seeing Scott Killian's and Joe Freeman's prints last week with 4 ply overmats, I'm going to switch. I might still use 2 ply for the mount because I have a lot of it, but the thicker overmat makes quite a difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1
    Gerald,

As far as I know PMA is not archival and 3M never claimed that it was.
    That's what I suspected. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin