Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,372   Online: 1091

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

To dry mount or not to dry mount

I am currently printing a large body of work (about 200 images) and can't decide how to mat the photos. I will be using 2 ply board both for the backing and the mat. I have always dry mounted in the past, but I know a lot of people don't like to. I do like how flat dry mounting is, but would like to hear what other people do. Thanks

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like to mount what I put on display. You should do it the way you want to see it, it's your show.
    Gary Beasley

Images
    Good Evening, Richard,

No doubt you'll get varying opinions on this. Personally, I really like the appearance of a print properly dry-mounted.

Konical

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Dry mount.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to consider whether the prints will be sold or simply for your own display purposes. If the latter, you're free to do what you wish, of course. If sales are anticipated, you may want to consider buyer/collector preferences.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    If sales are anticipated, you may want to consider buyer/collector preferences.
    There's been a lot of discussion about this in several forums. Seems to me the ones arguing the most against dry mounting are conservaters who mostly work with vintage prints or works of the great masters. Then others follow saying dry mounting decreases the collector value. IMO, this argument is made for the convenience of one group and the others are just following their lead.

But, I don't sell to great collectors nor am I likely to ever make the great master's list. So I dry mount. Honestly, I don't see how a better looking mount can be made.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dry mounting always looks better than other means of attaching prints to mount boards.

Shooter
    35mm
    I dry mount all my photos. I prefer a 4 ply board. If a person wishes to remove a FIBER based print from the board it is very easy to do so. Set your press to a temperture significantly hotter than what is used for mounting with that type of tissue. Heat the print until the corners are pulling away from the mat board. Grab the print by the corners and it will lift quite readily from the mat. Tack a new piece of tissue to the print, trim it and you are ready to dry mount it to a new board. Be careful not to burn your fingers!
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i've never been a big fan of dry mounting.
    while it is an inexpensive alternative to a good (hinged) window mat,
    and they look clean, flat and store smaller --- there is something
    about gluing ( or waxing ) a photograph to a board i never warmed up to.

i dry mounted prints years ago, and have regretted it ever since.

but all that said, you should present the photographs the way you want to...

-john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I hinge mount. If the conservation community comes around to accept the idea of drymounting again, I can always drymount later. Un-drymounting is possible with the right materials, but it's not easy.

An alternative that is accepted by conservators for albumen prints, which have more of a curl problem than gelatin prints, is starch mounting. I haven't tried it yet, but it may be a reasonable compromise, particularly for single weight gelatin paper like Azo. A starch mounted print can be easily released from its support, just by soaking in distilled water. The result is flat just like a drymounted print, and seems quite long lasting. There are lots of 19th-century albumen prints out there that were mounted with starch paste, with much less regard for archival considerations than we have today, and they seem to be holding up fine. The process is described in Reilly's albumen book, which can be found at albumen.stanford.edu.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin