Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,670   Online: 887

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Debossing/tipping in/Jan Pietrzak Film@Pers workshop

If you havent seen Tony Mournians film on Jan's platinum presentation at Per's recent workshop check it out on the APUG Workshop forum. it is a free download... and is interesting.

Of great interest to me (as I am working on a new project-and researching presentation methods) for my alternative process portfolio, is the way Jan "debosses" the paper on which he displays his prints. Most of his prints are 4 x 5 and are little jewels to view....The "debossing" ( I could have the wrong terminology here, as I understand, embossing is raised from the back like a notary seal and debossing is recessed?) is a process where with a press the backing paper is put under pressure and compressed, allowing ample space for the print to be "tipped in". The top edge of the print has archival tape attaching it only on the top edge. The print then hangs freely on the remaing three sides and rests in the debossed area of the backing paper. It is a most elegant way to display the print and eliminates the hot and cold press processes...If you haven't viewed Jan's prints up close and personal...it is a treat...Jan recently had a major show....50 prints or so (!) in Northern Nevada....thanks Jan.

Dave in Vegas-sunny and the High 60's- Perfect dark room temp

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    I
    is the way Jan "debosses" the paper on which he displays his prints. Most of his prints are 4 x 5 and are little jewels to view....The "debossing" ( I could have the wrong terminology here, as I understand, embossing is raised from the back like a notary seal and debossing is recessed?) is a process where with a press the backing paper is put under pressure and compressed, allowing ample space for the print to be "tipped in".
    You can use a vacuum easel to achieve an embossed or debossed effect on paper. I've seen some of Jan's little jewels and the presentation is quite unique. I'm considering displaying gum prints in a similar way, only I will dry mount the trimmed print in the embossed area, the brush marks having been trimmed away.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Don,

How do you define the debossed area with your method? Jan used I believe a piece of hard mat board the size needed to deboss. A pressure roller was rolled across---I think---I havent seen the tooling used--I probably should ask Jan to clarify instead of expounding etc.

Also do you do it with the paper dry?

Thanks for the ideas

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not only have I seen Jan's prints I own two of his "greats". Death Valley Junction and Onions. I believe he told me he uses an etching press to recess the area where the print lives. Most elegant presention I've seen.
    Wm Blunt

Shooter
    Large Format
    William,

Is the closest, I have a 14x28 etching press. The bed has a grid pattern lined out for Vert/Horzt the stock starts out as 4 ply rag board (easer to get the size I want). The matt size is 11x14 300lb watercolor paper. Run dry not NOT WET.

Don is right in that you might be able to use a vacuum frame but at about 20 to 30 lbs as to about 200 to 500 lbs the roller press works better.

The cost is about the same as over matting the prints.

This is not a new way to present work but it is something that I have done since the 1980s.

The press is not just for the matts be for some new work to come in polymer gravure.

Remember I started as a graphics student, with some print making under my belt. Back in 19z/s

I hope this helps

It was a lot of fun to be in Joshua Tree that week-end I wish I did not have to leave so early.

Jan Pietrzak

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Jan

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Don,

How do you define the debossed area with your method? Jan used I believe a piece of hard mat board the size needed to deboss. A pressure roller was rolled across---I think---I havent seen the tooling used--I probably should ask Jan to clarify instead of expounding etc.

Also do you do it with the paper dry?

Thanks for the ideas

Dave
    Dave,

Briefly, I use a piece of plexi (1/8 inch thick). The paper is soaked in water and then hung until it is just damp. Then I place the paper on a towel in the vacuum easel and place the plexi on the paper. Close the easel and pull 10 lbs. of vacuum for about 2 minutes. Remove the paper and hang to dry.

Don

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Dave,

Briefly, I use a piece of plexi (1/8 inch thick). The paper is soaked in water and then hung until it is just damp. Then I place the paper on a towel in the vacuum easel and place the plexi on the paper. Close the easel and pull 10 lbs. of vacuum for about 2 minutes. Remove the paper and hang to dry.

Don
    Got it....don t have a vacuum. I think i will experiment with a small shop press?

Shooter
    8x10 Format

New movie links ...

Update from Tony...

I had to change the links to Jan's movies because of problems with my ftp server. The current links don't work.

Here are the current and correct links:

http://home.sandiego.edu/~mournian/qtmovies/120x90_h263_jan_pietrzak.mov

http://home.sandiego.edu/~mournian/qtmovies/240x180_h263_jan_pietrzak.mov

The only things that changed are the capital letters are now lower case.

If you can change this on APUG, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Tony
    mournian@sandiego.edu

~Mark

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin