Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,346   Online: 768

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Lofgreen
    ... I have noticed that most photographers do act like you are asking them for some long hidden family recipe when you ask them "how do you do that".
    This is very true. There is that point of pride that might make someone want others to figure things out for themselves, but I've never seen much point in trying to be difficult about such things. I think that is more of a false mystique kind of thing. After all. a photographer is not made by the materials used.

Is it simply a matter of marketing or is there more to it?
    I really do believe it is marketing in most cases. There are people who are blessed with a sense of business and can make it doing anything. As for the hypothetical people of which you speak, I think much of it is in the promotion of one's self first. Then, when a following starts to tag along, the sponsors can step-in because there is a buck to be made. This in turn gives the "expert" more credibility, advertising, etc. It is self-perpetuating.

Also I think in many cases it is a "those that can, do..." kind of thing. I don't mean that with any disrespect, it is just the way it is. If someone is making gobs of money at what they do, why teach? Same goes for famous wedding photographer "A" ... if he/she is making a good living traveling the country teaching those that want to be, why ever shoot another wedding? Of course there are those that do it all, but you don't see many of the really "big" names doing workshops.

Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It is learning to "market yourself" which helps you become established as a "name". Marketing your work goes hand in hand with that.

The photographers I recognise as being "successful" (in that they make money and have a well known brand name) have all become successful through marketing - not just for the quality of their work (and in some cases, not even due to the quality of their work). Any one of the contributors to this forum could be successful if quality photography was the only reason for success. However, it is only those who grasp the concepts of marketing who will ever become known for their photography.

I can't remember who the quote is from, but it goes like: "Become better at marketing what you do than actually doing and success will follow." Very true, in my opinion. If you want to be "successful", don't spend any more money on cameras - spend it on learning how to market yourself.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graeme,
    That's a good point too. There is a difference between marketing your pictures and marketing yourself. Marketing yourself will bring a brand recognition to your work. Your work then becomes your products, weather it's the images themselves or other products like workshops, gadgets etc. Has anyone here at apug been able to do that?

D.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Has anyone here at apug been able to do that?

D.
    Yes, there are several, including Graeme. He owns his own gallery in Western Australia (I'm waiting for him to open one in Sydney); that is a fine accomplishment in itself.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Being part of communities is a great thing to inspire yourself with and as far as success is concerned it is a one day at a time kind of thing. Look at individual accompliments as success.
    With respect to financial gratification this is a jearney of your own making. Sounds vague but the reality is, what the world needs is "not" another photographer. So through perserverance they need to understand why they need you. Most agency or companies get inindated with people looking for work that are willing to undercut everyone price wise to get the work. So shoot what you need to express yourself to potential markets show it, listen to their respnse, quantify it for its value then adjust in the places you agree with then try again. Luck is very neccesary and is something that with patience and great effort will show itself. This process will test your passion for this medium. Over and over again. even with some success every time you want to grow yourself to the next step you will be faced with the same issues. "It is acheivable!"
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Graeme,
    That's a good point too. There is a difference between marketing your pictures and marketing yourself. Marketing yourself will bring a brand recognition to your work. Your work then becomes your products, weather it's the images themselves or other products like workshops, gadgets etc. Has anyone here at apug been able to do that?

D.
    Derek, I'm not sure you should be making a distinction between marketing your pictures and yourself - I believe expert marketing requires the marketing of the whole package: every aspect of your brand needs to compliment the others. Selling the whole package is how you establish your brand name.

An example everybody here can relate to is AA: when we hear the name, we all immediately think B&W landscapes of the American West, we remember the Zone System, a series of instructional books and an environmental activist. Ansel Adams became more than a photographer: he became an industry, with instant brand recognition amongst his chosen market segment.

However, that recognition did not occur until somebody took his work and life story and started marketing them (and that was not AA, at least not initially ....). If left to his own devices, he would have kept selling his prints for $20 each to tourists in Yosemite NP.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to buy some books on brand marketing, direct marketing and self promotion. Read them extensively and write notes on how each concept could be applied to your situation. Most importantly, act immediately. You only have one life, and time is running out whilst you sit reading this forum!

Nobody but you is going to act to establish yourself as a successful artist/photographer. What are you doing about it right now?

Cheers,
    Graeme
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin