Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,550   Online: 1162

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Projecting 6x9 transparencies?

I just got my first roll of 6x9 transparencies back that I shot with my 1936 Zeiss Ikon Folder. I can't envision a senario where I don't continue to shoot these. They're wonderful. They glow.

Now the question -- presuming I get stuck on shooting transparencies, I'll eventually want a way to project them. Is there a projector I can use to project transparencies in size from 35mm all the way to 6x9 without having to unload and load each one singlely. I'd like to just stack a bunch of transparencies in a hopper, or something like that, and display them.

I'm presuming this would be something historical/vintage.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If there is such a thing for 6x9, like the old Linhof/Leitz 6x7 projector, it's not likely to be auto loading. At best it will be the sort of projector with a sliding carriage where you insert the slide on one side of the gate and push the carriage over to the other side, where you can take out the previous slide and insert the next one, push it into the gate, and take out the previous one from the other side, etc.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The largest I have heard about is the G÷tschmann 6X7 http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/gotschmann.htm
    Cheers S°ren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    I'm presuming this would be something historical/vintage.

-KwM-
    Hey Kevin:

The military had projectors that handled up to 4x5. They come up occasionally on Ebay. But be prepared to pay! :o And, they are huge! (as you might imagine.)

I got a "USMC" machine several years ago that handles up to 6x6. It wasn't that expensive, but it is a bare bones job. Pretty much what David G. described.

I've found 6x6 and 6x7 mounts, but I haven't noted whether or not 6x9 mounts are even available.

Good luck.

David (B)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I bought some 6x9 mounts from the company that bought Weiss. They had only a few boxes of them and did not express an opinion about making them again...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke
    I bought some 6x9 mounts from the company that bought Weiss. They had only a few boxes of them and did not express an opinion about making them again...EC
    We've used an old magic lantern slide projector for these sizes before, but it was for other purposes than just showing how wonderfully tack sharp your slides are. And it doesn't have trays either, of course.

And wasn't the 4x5" beast called something like the Beseler Slide King? IIRC, there's a post on one of the photo fora about slide projectors this large. If I have time, I'll try to find it.

BTW Why DO you shoot slides anyways and not negs?
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    [...]
    BTW Why DO you shoot slides anyways and not negs?

Oh -- I shoot nearly entirely B&W negs. Aside from this roll of 6x9 I just shot, my last roll of transparencies was 2-3 years ago, and the previous one was 2-3 years before that. I shot some transparency film with this folder just out of curiosity, and gosh, those things sure do look nice on the light table. Also, I'm going to play around with developing b&w neg film as transparencies once I clear out a few other projects.

It does occur to me, though, that for projects I would intend to print using an alt process, shooting b&w transparencies would save a step. I could shoot my 35mm or MF transparencies, then make an enlarged negative on the enlarger baseboard, then contact print that using *whatever*. It'd save me the step of making an interpositive.

It also occured to me that when shooting color with old cameras (like the aforementioned Zeiss Ikon 6x9 folder) that transparency film is more likely to render the true "vision" of the camera without being intercepted by various profiles in automated minilab printing machines.

Upon further consideration, though, I think I'd prefer to find some kind of a projector that would accept strips of transparencies rather than mounted ones. If I'm showing someone a portrait series that they might like me to print, I'd much rather handle strips than mounted transparencies in the enlarger.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet

Upon further consideration, though, I think I'd prefer to find some kind of a projector that would accept strips of transparencies rather than mounted ones. If I'm showing someone a portrait series that they might like me to print, I'd much rather handle strips than mounted transparencies in the enlarger.

-KwM-
    Hmm, I understand your concern, but you may have a hard time finding a projector that does what you want, unless you'd build the strip holder yourself. Have you taken a look at the models suggested here already to see if that is doable?

About B&W transparencies: you are aware that Agfa Scala is out of production, are you not? What will be your alternative?
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup, I was correct, it's called Beseler Slide King. One sold in Germany on eBay not too long ago, take a look:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/Beseler-Slide-Kin...QQcmdZViewItem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How about 11! Beseler Slide kings

There is a current listing for 11 of these machines on Ebay in the US:

11 Beseler Slide Kings

It is item number 7593363350.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin