Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,232   Posts: 1,532,902   Online: 971

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Best way to mail large prints??

I think I am going to have to mail a 16X12 FB print soon.

What is the best way to do this? Should I put it flat in a stiff card envelope and hope nobody bends it in two, or can they be rolled up to go in a tube - or does this damage them?

Thanks for any help,

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For prints of this size, I like the method used by West Coast Imaging. Print goes in an archival plastic sleeve with an interleaving sheet covering the face of the print. Sleeve is taped to an oversized corrugated cardboard sheet. One more corrugated sheet goes under the first one, and two sheets go over the print, and then all four sheets are packaged in a corrugated cardboard box. Any additional materials or documents can go between two of the other sheets of cardboard. It's a very sturdy package.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use 1/8 inch masonite or 1/4" wood paneling, the cheapest you can find. Cut it about 2 inches oversize. Wrap the print in an archival sleeve, a piece of tissue paper covering the print itself, then sandwich between the two pieces of paneling. Seal with copious amounts of duct tape.

In addition to whatever comments I may get back on the print, I always get a comment about how its packaged.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Talk to Jorge!
    Mexico to Milano easy...
    Yes, plywood was used.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    For prints of this size, I like the method used by West Coast Imaging. Print goes in an archival plastic sleeve with an interleaving sheet covering the face of the print. Sleeve is taped to an oversized corrugated cardboard sheet. One more corrugated sheet goes under the first one, and two sheets go over the print, and then all four sheets are packaged in a corrugated cardboard box. Any additional materials or documents can go between two of the other sheets of cardboard. It's a very sturdy package.
    Yes, they do an excellent job. I just got a box like this from them containing one 20x24, one 16x20, one 11x14 and one 8x10. The box was solid as a rock.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you anticipate frequent mailings like this, check out Uline. They have a great variety of mailing and shipping containers.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin