Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,179   Online: 1157

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Help...REAL WORLD print pricing.

All,
    I was approached today by a coordinator for a local volunteer organization. He inquired about purchasing 8-10 of my prints (in 5x7, 8x10, or 11x14), to give as gifts to the volunteers at an annual diner. As I have never sold a print in my life, I do not know what fair asking price would be. I emailed him back to ask about matting what whatnot, but I did not give him an answer yet for prices.
    While looking through the APUG gallery, most 8x10 prints seemed to go for $125. I think a volunteer group would drop dead at a $1250 photography bill.
    I did explain, in my email, the process involved with making a print - just so that the individual didn't think I would be charging for something coming out of a printer at my computer desk.

Thoughts ?

Shooter
    35mm
    Boy, print pricing is always a hot topic, and highly variable. The one thing I would note here is that a charity is involved, so it is probably up to you as to how much you wish to "donate" or not. Figure your costs and time, and consider from there. If he did say purchase, he may have a budget in mind. There is nothing wrong with asking what the budget is. Once his number is on the table (you will probably scare each other) you can qualify the size and number of prints from there. Something like "Well, there's no way I can do 10 prints in 11X14 for that but I could print 5x7 for that or for x amount more I could give you 8x10's"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can only give you a ballpark starting figure, nothing more. My basic price for prints, framed or otherwise is 225% of cost.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If it's a volunteer organization, I would consider either donating them, being sure to have your contact info with them, or sell them at cost and let him know as such. Then you can quote him the typical price, letting him know how much you feel his organization does for the community.

This way you get your name out there, give something to the community, and have a nice tagline for your CV.

I donate several works per year to organizations that I feel make the community a better place.

Only suggestions.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall
    If it's a volunteer organization, I would consider either donating them, being sure to have your contact info with them, or sell them at cost and let him know as such. Then you can quote him the typical price, letting him know how much you feel his organization does for the community.

This way you get your name out there, give something to the community, and have a nice tagline for your CV.

I donate several works per year to organizations that I feel make the community a better place.

Only suggestions.
    Good idea; I've made image donations part of my business practices. A great way of giving back to the community.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    If you donate, be sure to get the proper documentation for a tax credit, if you can apply one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Typically, an artist can only claim the cost of materials as a tax deduction for donated work.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    All,
    Thanks for all of your help. I am going to sleep on your suggestions and see what comes to me in the morning.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have two shows coming up.

The first will be a show where I donate all the sales to a charity in New Orleans. The prices will be about $250-$300 including matting.

The second will be a show where all the funds go to me and the prices will be around $400-$500.

Thats how I am doing it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ok, I came up with a formula.

For better or worse, here it is:
    I looked around the net, and came with a mean 8x10 price. This was in the neighborhood of $125 matted. (which, BTW, apug-gallery.com seems to fit into well !). I then looked at my total costs for the project (paper, chems, etc). I did NOT include costs of the negative process, as these images were taken on my 'own' time. I then was left with two numbers. I took the average of the two, and came up with a ratio. I then applied this to all of the sizes the customer asked for. Basically, this came out to be 60% of most mean prices.
    Granted, this comes out to be substancially less than most here would sell a print for. However, I feel that this organization provides the comunity with a great service, and I feel comfortable with the prices I setforth. Had this been a comercial group, I would have charged the mean prices, or perhaps more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin