Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,580   Online: 771

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Nielsen metal frame touch up

The good news is I got in a six state juried photography show. The bad news is that some of the Nielsen Black Florentine frames came back with scratches and scrapes to the surface. Any suggestions on touch up to the abused surfaces?

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not a suggestion, but this is why galleries often like wooden frames. They don't show as much wear when work is being moved in and out of display, sold, and shipped, and they're easier to touch up. I still use metal at home though.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes. Try a run-of-the- mill black Magic Marker. Nothing like a permanent fix ... but it works -*very nearly* undectectably.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I prefer a Sharpie marker.
    As someone who hangs exhibitions, I would much rather work with Nielsen metal frames. Wood looks nice and is easier to touch up, but anything with wires is a pain.
    Give me some Nielsen frames, a level, tape measure and some sheetrock screws and that exhibit is up in no time... nice and level, easy to adjust spacing and secure.
    Just my $0.02 worth.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second the motion for Sharpie. It's a close match for most black finishes, except maybe highly polished and extremely matte. I've used them for quite some time in touching up cameras and associated equipment. If there are dings or deep scratches there is little to cure that, but color matching makes these defects less obvious. If the frames need to be *perfect*, I've found no alternative but to replace them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've found a paint pen does about the best job for me, or a small tube of auto touch-up paint works about as well

Images
    I hope this isn't a thread hijack. Maybe John would also be interested in this too.

I have several Black Nielsons that are well past the marker touch up stage. It is time to buff them with sandpaper and repaint them.
    Can anyone suggest the best Glossy Black, rock hard, bulletproof spray paint for this purpose? Hopefully something readily available at the local hardware store or Home Depot.

I have made scores of corrugated cardboard protective corners to put on my frames during transport so hopefully this problem will be eliminated or at least greatly reduced in the future.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Makes perfect sense to me to look at the next step. I think the sharpie will take care of mine now, but paint is probably just another show away.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

John Powers

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Sharpies/magic markers reflect more blue than the Nielsen Frames. I wonder if black kiwi wax/shoe polish would do the trick?
    -JOhn

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    With sharpies, put some on the scratch and then buff it off before it dries. then there won't be so much purple-ish ink on the frame.

Jon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin