Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,970   Posts: 1,558,560   Online: 1142

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

WHICH PHOTO GALLERY SOFTWARE FOR PERSONAL WEB SITE?

I am in the process of developing my own web site (with the help of a more computer savy friend) and I would like to use some sort of "GALLERY" software whereby I could go into the site and add or delete my images easily without having to go to a web site designer every time.

I have been looking at software by Pixitivity:
    http://www.tivity.com/pixtivity/pixt...sing_soon.cfm#
    but the release is a long time coming and being new there won't be any feedback about how well it works any time soon either.

So I would like to ask for help in choosing some software appropriate for managing a photo gallery on the net.

I am primarily a large format photographer and don't need a fancy site just something appropriate for black and white landscape photographs.

Thanks in advance for your help, Terrance
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't to forget to have it hosted by Apug

Shameless plug.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format

Not sure if such software is available... ?

Perhaps you could just use standard website "construction" software. While there is a learning curve for making complicated sites it is quite easy to build your own using off the shelf standard software.

If you have a Mac use Go Live made by Adobe and use Fetch (free software) to upload new material).

http://www.pervolquartz.com

- built using Go Live...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you mean you want something that you install yourself on our site? What about gallery? Or coppermine? Both are pretty popular, have a strong user base and are configurable.

Or, you can go with something like smugmug. People customize the heck out of that on a regular basis.

allan

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have a lot of experience with available packages because I built my own but there is a company that offers some very nice web site templates. http://www.vervelabs.com/welcome.php

Regards,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    There are a number of programs that will do this for you - Microsoft FrontPage, Adobe Photoshop CS2, even Adobe Photoshop Album has rudimentary web publishing. Additionally, most hosting services have some type of webstarter program as well.

If you are on Windows, FrontPage is probably the best. Most hosting services offer FrontPage extensions, which is a method for publishing you site. Much easier than using third-party software to copy it.

Being a programmer, I did my own. It was written in VB.NET, sitting on a Microsoft SQL Server database.

If you are interested, I have an article on my website on just this subject. You can find it at: http://www.visionlandscapes.com/Arti...aspx?Article=8
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm looking to build a stand alone site that can exhibit and advertise monochrome fine art landscape photographs and misc. photographic services for sale.
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you're a Macintosh user, try iWeb. It's part of the new iLife '06 software suite. Very easy to use, but limited. You could have a personal site up the same day you get the software.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would recommend using Dreamweaver. It's latest version has a wonderful gallery extension available. It will produce galleries like the ones pixtivity will. I would recommend hiring a professional designer if you can afford it. I can't tell you how many really good photographers out there trying to sell there work have the ugliest web sites. Think of your site as the frame around your photos. The better looking the site is the better your photos look.

Just my thoughts.
    D.

Shooter
    35mm
    check out the features on photoshop cs2. you can "make" a flash gallery in minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin