Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,121   Online: 1148

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    From what I can tell from surfing ebay (I've never sold any of my prints) a key seems to be listing it under art -> prints -> contemporary and not under photographs...

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hello

These 2 parts of the Ryan message are really important and true

It is important to planned regular raising of the price . And to have constant sales you must offer new work. It is this fact who bother me a little , because most of your collector , or on ebay you will sell 80% of your work to 20% of your buyer. Meaning that 20% of your buyer will be collector and repeated buyer. SO if you don't have new work to offer you loose a lot of your incomes. I stop selling there because I want to take more time for my new projects but if you have a set of 150 print you could display them o,n ebay within a year and have constant sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh
    ISecondly, its VERY important to ALWAYS have new work being put up on Ebay. You cannot just keep listing the same few images, over and over again because people will become numb to seeing them and you will get zero sales. Always be producing new work! If you list a print more then two times and it does not sell, stop listing it.

One thing you must NEVER do on Ebay is lower your prices. Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I have to agree with Ryan also. I talk to Ryan quite often and as he raises his prices I edge mine up also trying to keep the value up. I have some collectors that buy my work on a regular basis but you have to always have new images. If you don then you will have 0 sales. Also in the beginning your sales will be extremely slow but don’t give up and DO NOT LOWER your prices.

It is very important to make sure your prints are high quality if you want to have repeat business. If you even second guess a print toss it out and reprint it, or print a different image entirely. With all the junk out there you really have to make sure your stuff is above average.

Good luck and give it a try,

Kev

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting posts, although when I looked at the ebay market for photography two years ago, the only prints selling were nudes. I haven't actively tried to market my work yet, but got cold responses from gallery owners selling boring oil painted sunsets. So I've been a bit reluctant.

You can make a living on ebay, but the biggest problem with ebay are in fact the fees, when you don't sell it really hits your profits hard. You need a regular turnover. Find a good subject matter and stick to a theme.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Gentlemen !!!

I've just now had a chance to review my ebay thread... great input from everyone here. More importantly, "honest input"... which I view as the number one priority. I am a little disappointed in what I've learned from everyone about ebay. However, better to learn from the "voices of experience" here on apug, than to find out the hard way. I've wasted enough money on advertising without needing to lose any more through an auction house.

To John Voss: Thank you for taking the time to view my website, I appreciate your compliment.

I agree with the person who said, '...there's a lot of junk out there.' I can't tell you how many times I've looked at a print and thought, 'You want how much for this ?!?' At times, I consider beginning to print my images in editions of 5 prints instead of 50... with a few 1/1's thrown in for good measure. Then, once I'm dead and buried, whoever cleans out my house can do as they please with whatever they find. I've never done photography for anyone else but me to begin with.

For what it's worth, I do think I edit my images quite strictly. I've "cleaned house" with my negative files several times. Minus a few exceptions, I put my time into those images that get a "gut level" reaction out of me. A couple of the exceptions that I can think of at the moment are: "Kilauea Lighthouse" (Kauai in b/w series) and "Morning Siesta" (miscellaneous images). I'm not a fan of either of those two shots, and yet.... I've sold both numerous times. There's even a man in an apartment on the 800 block of Park Avenue in NYC who's bought one of each of those prints ! Just goes to prove, 'different strokes for different folks.'

As always, if I didn't want an honest answer, I wouldn't waste your time by asking the question. Thanks to everyone again for posting your thoughts.

SusanK
    http://www.susankopecky.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The photographers that have been selling on ebay. Have you been selling from your ebay store or auction?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Auction and whatever you do, do not do a buy it now as that tells people this is all your prints are worth. If you are doing Traditional Gelatin Silver I would start no lower than $75. At first sales will be slow but once people start buying your work you will get a regular following.

Good luck! If you have anymore questions just drop me a line.

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Does anyone mind telling us the profile of your Ebay buyers? Thanks.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Another thing that is not good when selling on ebay is listing the exact same image with different prices. Or listing the exact same image in different sizes.

For example Image A Listed at $50 then Listing it again at the same time for $99 for Listing Image B 8x10 for $49 and listing Image B 11x14 for $125.

Collectors will look at that and not take you serious and you will have trouble selling your artwork and it will haunt you.

The key is to list different items all the time. Sure you can rotate an image back in after a few weeks.

Another point I cannot stress enough is that once you set a price you CANNOT go back on it. Say you are now selling at $50 and you sell good. Then you increase to $60 sales still good then you edge up to $75 some sales but not as good so you go back down to $60. That is bad real bad. If you raise your price you need to honor it and stick to it as collectors have already bought your work at $75. If you lower it you might as well not sell anymore ad you have just ruined your integrity with your buyers.

Just some food for thought.

Kev

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin