Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,429   Online: 1015

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anyone cut one lately?

Or do you buy pre cut matts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used the Valiani ASTRA 120 for a few years and appreciate it every time I use it.
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Green chili breakfast burrito.

Images
    I'm framing for a show and wishing that I could be out shooting film or printing instead of mounting, matting, assembling frames and (augh ) cleaning glass.

I almost never compose to a standard aspect ratio so even if I don't particularly enjoy it, I am doomed to cut my own mats or pay someone else to do it.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Im doomed also as it is my least liked tasks. In college I used a Dexter Matt cutter. It must have been designed by someone who hates people as it is the least ergomatic device next to the manual plow.

David I like pinto beans over cornbread with chopped onions on top with some hot sauce.

Precut matts are expensive, even more so if you need several custom ones, I'll look that Astra in my search.

Thanks
    Curt

Shooter
    35mm
    Having a penchant for cropping to near panoramic aspect ratios, and other oddball things, and suffering the frustration of ordering custom frames, cutting glass, mats, etc. I took a vow to print only standard sizes. Alas, it wasn't to be. I am doomed to cutting my own mats in many cases. I use a Logan cutter. Some people have told me it sucks and I should get a Fletcher. I myself have not had a moments disappointment with it. Cutting glass is another matter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I rarely print to standard sizes so I too have a need to cut my own mats or pay a hefty price to have them cut for me.

Images
    Just heads-up.
    American Frame is offering a free custom cut mat with each frame. Sweet deal. Sadly, I just ordered them uncut because I didn't have any specific dimensions. It's still a nice bonus.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's funny to hear the Logan Fletcher argument after decades past! I guess I must have just not have had the money or was cheap not to get either one. At Art Center I just dry mounted and watched the teacher try to "pop" the photo off the mount; no over matting there. If it popped off you had to do the assignment over. At Brooks we just cut the over matts if we wanted to for display. Before that when I was getting my BS I had to dry mount and cut my own matts. After using the Dexter my arm wrist and neck were screwed for a week not to mention some blisters. They look great today but Im not going through that again. Maybe it was all that 4 ply that did it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think this is the one to get.

http://www.valiani.com/

I am sure I will find just the one that's right.

Curt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin