Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,220   Online: 851

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat Prints

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Flat Prints

I made a search and, unless I didn't make it right, there is no posts about "flat print", so I decided to post this.

I have a recurrent problem to get a "flat print" out of fiber base papers. The question is: there is a way to get a really flat print?

I received a nice print as a present of a friend, really flat. I asked her how she could produce such a nice flat print and answered me that she didn't made it, she ordered to a professional lab.
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I flatten prints in a drymount press.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I also use a drymount press. I set the temp to above the boiling point and lightly dampen the backside before pressing.
    Last edited by Claire Senft; 05-25-2006 at 07:22 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typos..like more than one. And to think that I used to be a good proof reader.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you sleep on a futon on floor, you might want to try this.

Sandwitch your print with a pair of clean cardboards, and place it on your floor (if it's not flat enough, use a plywood or something). Put the sandwitch. Put your futon directly on top of the sandwitch. Sleep overnight. (No exercise please.) The print should be flat when you wake up.

It's a classic (probably historical by now) way for a single man to press trousers without an iron, but I've read in Japanese forums that this works well for fibere prints.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Keep your eye out for an older drymount press. I picked one up on e...y for 150 with shipping. It took a little effort to clean it up, but it is probably ready for another 50 years....not a whole lot to go wrong!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Storing prints alternately face up and face down in a tightly packed box will eventually flatten them. Even flat fiber base prints can curl because of changes in humidity.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Have you tried a -1 filter???

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher
    Keep your eye out for an older drymount press. I picked one up on e...y for 150 with shipping. It took a little effort to clean it up, but it is probably ready for another 50 years....not a whole lot to go wrong!

Got to agree. Just bought an old Ademco for £20 on ebay and as with Mark will probably have to spend a little time cleaning it up. Still for the cost of 10 beers it's ridiculous.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji
    Sandwitch your print with a pair of clean cardboards, and place it on your floor (if it's not flat enough, use a plywood or something). Put the sandwitch. Put your futon directly on top of the sandwitch. Sleep overnight. (No exercise please.) The print should be flat when you wake up.
    Tried it last night, Ryuji. Thanks for the tip. I've been trying to flatten some Fujifilm singleweight paper, and it's really tough. To be honest, I don't think the futon made much difference though. About the same as pressing in a heavy book. I'll give them another night just to be thorough.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose A Martinez
    I made a search and, unless I didn't make it right, there is no posts about "flat print", so I decided to post this.

I have a recurrent problem to get a "flat print" out of fiber base papers. The question is: there is a way to get a really flat print?

I received a nice print as a present of a friend, really flat. I asked her how she could produce such a nice flat print and answered me that she didn't made it, she ordered to a professional lab.
    Hi Jose,

Try taping your wet prints (face up) to a clean glass surface with water colour tape, which you can get inexpensively at an artists' supply shop. This kind of tape sticks only when wet, and if you tape your print along all four sides, it - the print - will pull itself nice and flat when drying.

One caveat, though: for some reason the print now & then sticks to the glass surface. You can avoid this by sticking a sheet of ordinary typewriter paper between the print and the glass.

Good luck!

/Søren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin