Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,632   Online: 677

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    Can someone post a picture or a link to an online listing for this sort of ink? I'm going to try the Weston approach, but I want to be sure of what I'm actually looking for. Is it like the ink stick used for sumi-e? Thanks!
    See attached image. I'm surprised to see this request to come out of Korea. I thought this type of ink was more common in Asia than Europe or the Americas. Is that not so? Have I been assuming something here?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ChinaInk.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I can definitely find it now that I know what it is, exactly, but I wanted to have a better idea of what I was looking for as sometimes things familiar things go by unfamiliar terms. Turns out it's something I know well enough. After work tonight I'll stop by an art shop where I can get not only the gum arabic but can choose from a range of at least a dozen ink sticks. Thanks!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use Peerless dry, works perfectelly!

Stefano
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photo8x10 View Post
    I use Peerless dry, works perfectelly!

Stefano
    Why? You can get an ink stick for the same price, and it will last a thousand times longer.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you checked the retouching section at Silverprint? They are selling Schmincke inks as a replacement. I have bought a set of Schmincke inks but haven't had the chance to try them yet as I still have plenty of Spotone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ooze View Post
    Have you checked the retouching section at Silverprint? They are selling Schmincke inks as a replacement. I have bought a set of Schmincke inks but haven't had the chance to try them yet as I still have plenty of Spotone.
    I would stay away from those. They are not a dye but a highly-expensive laquer that is not absorbed by the emulsion but sits on top of it. The examples I've seen showed obvious tell-tale signs of repair. You don't get that with Spotone or ink.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are also the SpotPens - they come in sets of 10, from a just-barely-darker-than-paper-white to absolute black. They can produce a point as fine as a #00 brush. They have warm tone and cool tone sets. They're not cheap, but they're well worth the money.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgCl4ever View Post
    I too have run out of Spotone (well, I should have tried to revive the dried out stuff in the bottles).

Ken
    Interesting. I ALWAYS put a small amount on a saucer and let it dry out, then remoistened with a tiny bit of water taken up on the end of my brush.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    There are also the SpotPens - they come in sets of 10, from a just-barely-darker-than-paper-white to absolute black. They can produce a point as fine as a #00 brush. They have warm tone and cool tone sets. They're not cheap, but they're well worth the money.
    Thing is, as long as I've been printing, I've spotted with Spotone and a tiny brush. At this point it just works really well for me and I'd just as soon keep working in a method that I've proven in my own work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Interesting. I ALWAYS put a small amount on a saucer and let it dry out, then remoistened with a tiny bit of water taken up on the end of my brush.
    Ditto on this method, this is what I have done for years and years, even in my past commercial labs. Only difference is that I also used a watercolor mix tray too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin