Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,785   Online: 837
      
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    531
    Images
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I would stay away from those. They are not a dye but a highly-expensive laquer that is not absorbed by the emulsion but sits on top of it. The examples I've seen showed obvious tell-tale signs of repair. You don't get that with Spotone or ink.
    I've tried them too, for whatever they made them, at least it's not for retouching. I have three of of them: brown black, neutral grey and jet black. Anyone paying the postage may have them.

    Ulrich

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Drolshagen View Post
    I've tried them too, for whatever they made them, at least it's not for retouching. I have three of of them: brown black, neutral grey and jet black. Anyone paying the postage may have them.

    Ulrich
    Bad news:o
    I should take extra care with my Spotone supply.

    I'm still baffled why Silverprint would say on their website that "The Diaphoto dyes equate to the old Spotone range.."

  3. #23
    RalphLambrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Central florida,USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,811
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ooze View Post
    Bad news:o
    I should take extra care with my Spotone supply.

    I'm still baffled why Silverprint would say on their website that "The Diaphoto dyes equate to the old Spotone range.."
    Is Marshall's Spot-all still around? That is decent stuff! Nevertheless, ink sticks work well. Spotting dyes will be the last thing missing, as far as photographic supplies go.
    Regards

    Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2
    I am trying to do the stick ink and gum arabic method and don't know what I was supposed to get but the stick ink doesn't dissolve very well. I started yesterday afternoon. Some of it did dissolve into the gum arabic/water solution but for the most part it is still a lump sitting in a pool of black water. Is this the expected result?

  5. #25
    Jon Shiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Elk, California
    Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Posts
    2,593
    Images
    33
    In normal use, you wet the ink stick in water and kind of use a circular grinding motion on a stone-like thing that slopes and has a reservoir at one side.

    Jon

    oh, just noticed there is a picture upthread
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    In normal use, you wet the ink stick in water and kind of use a circular grinding motion on a stone-like thing that slopes and has a reservoir at one side.

    Jon

    oh, just noticed there is a picture upthread
    Jon, Thanks so much. This was a great suggestion. I was just wondering now about the gum arabic. It was included in the original "recipe"...should it be included here. Or, put another way, what was its purpose?

  7. #27

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Valley Stream, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,216
    Marshall's Spot-All is available and it is exactly like the old Spotone. Why get crazy with trying to make a sow's ear into a silk purse?

    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_sea...all&rfnc=2504&
    Frank Schifano

  8. #28
    RalphLambrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Central florida,USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,811
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Marshall's Spot-All is available and it is exactly like the old Spotone. Why get crazy with trying to make a sow's ear into a silk purse?

    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_sea...all&rfnc=2504&
    Marshall's Spot All is different from Spotone (the hue is different), but it is a very good product as well.
    Regards

    Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Enroute
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    There are also the SpotPens - they come in sets of 10, from a just-barely-darker-than-paper-white to absolute black. They can produce a point as fine as a #00 brush. They have warm tone and cool tone sets. They're not cheap, but they're well worth the money.
    I like these for small areas, but larger ones it just seems to bead up. Am I supposed to pre-wet the area? Or should I just go with Peerless because that is all that's left it would seem.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 02-25-2014 at 03:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

  10. #30
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,202
    I've never been able to spot worth a damn no matter what I use. I have a set of Spotone, for all the good it does me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin