Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,785   Online: 837

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I would stay away from those. They are not a dye but a highly-expensive laquer that is not absorbed by the emulsion but sits on top of it. The examples I've seen showed obvious tell-tale signs of repair. You don't get that with Spotone or ink.
    I've tried them too, for whatever they made them, at least it's not for retouching. I have three of of them: brown black, neutral grey and jet black. Anyone paying the postage may have them.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Drolshagen View Post
    I've tried them too, for whatever they made them, at least it's not for retouching. I have three of of them: brown black, neutral grey and jet black. Anyone paying the postage may have them.

Ulrich
    Bad news:o
    I should take extra care with my Spotone supply.

I'm still baffled why Silverprint would say on their website that "The Diaphoto dyes equate to the old Spotone range.."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ooze View Post
    Bad news:o
    I should take extra care with my Spotone supply.

I'm still baffled why Silverprint would say on their website that "The Diaphoto dyes equate to the old Spotone range.."
    Is Marshall's Spot-all still around? That is decent stuff! Nevertheless, ink sticks work well. Spotting dyes will be the last thing missing, as far as photographic supplies go.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am trying to do the stick ink and gum arabic method and don't know what I was supposed to get but the stick ink doesn't dissolve very well. I started yesterday afternoon. Some of it did dissolve into the gum arabic/water solution but for the most part it is still a lump sitting in a pool of black water. Is this the expected result?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    In normal use, you wet the ink stick in water and kind of use a circular grinding motion on a stone-like thing that slopes and has a reservoir at one side.

Jon

oh, just noticed there is a picture upthread
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    In normal use, you wet the ink stick in water and kind of use a circular grinding motion on a stone-like thing that slopes and has a reservoir at one side.

Jon

oh, just noticed there is a picture upthread
    Jon, Thanks so much. This was a great suggestion. I was just wondering now about the gum arabic. It was included in the original "recipe"...should it be included here. Or, put another way, what was its purpose?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Marshall's Spot-All is available and it is exactly like the old Spotone. Why get crazy with trying to make a sow's ear into a silk purse?

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_sea...all&rfnc=2504&
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Marshall's Spot-All is available and it is exactly like the old Spotone. Why get crazy with trying to make a sow's ear into a silk purse?

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_sea...all&rfnc=2504&
    Marshall's Spot All is different from Spotone (the hue is different), but it is a very good product as well.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    There are also the SpotPens - they come in sets of 10, from a just-barely-darker-than-paper-white to absolute black. They can produce a point as fine as a #00 brush. They have warm tone and cool tone sets. They're not cheap, but they're well worth the money.
    I like these for small areas, but larger ones it just seems to bead up. Am I supposed to pre-wet the area? Or should I just go with Peerless because that is all that's left it would seem.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 02-25-2014 at 03:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never been able to spot worth a damn no matter what I use. I have a set of Spotone, for all the good it does me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin