Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,950   Posts: 1,557,886   Online: 939

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    There are also the SpotPens - they come in sets of 10, from a just-barely-darker-than-paper-white to absolute black. They can produce a point as fine as a #00 brush. They have warm tone and cool tone sets. They're not cheap, but they're well worth the money.
    Got those too. Can't get them to work either. If anything they're harder and less workable than a brush. I wish they worked for me. I wish SOMETHING worked.

I've got a spotting-ability gene broken or something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Spotone is all I have used, I have the three bottle set. An original bottle dried out and could not be revived from the remnants left at the bottom. It is a shame the man who created it has long passed now and left no formula. Spotone is one of the small but extremely important items needed. Crocein Scarlet and Kodak Opaque black are gone also.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm currently experimenting with a formula, using black drawing ink gumarabic,wetting agent and alcohol;let you knowif and ehen it works as well as spottone.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I managed to snag a brand new 3 bottle Spotone set along with a dual 35/ single 120 Paterson 4 tank for a bargain. The seller said the flavors are 1,2,3 which seems odd as that set is normally 0,1,3. Since I mostly print with Ilford WT fiber, I hope he is right about the numbers.

Either way, a good start...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, so I got the set, they are indeed the set I thought plus a full bottle of #0, olive, all new unopened.

So that makes full bottles of #1, Blue-Black, #2, Warm, #3 nuetral-black and the olive one. I should be able to tackle spotting with that and the pens for a long time...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you don't see so good, you never see spots needs fixin'
    I wish that I knew what I know now when I was younger. ("Oohlala, by the Small Faces").

I plan to make up for it by the time I''m 84 ...

Bob Slaughter (megzdad81)

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by megzdad81 View Post
    If you don't see so good, you never see spots needs fixin'
    That's why I use -3.5 Diopter spotting glasses. Can't see a damn thing unless I'm on the Moon (or reach the print).

A photography teacher once told me a single bottle of spot tone should last your whole life. I've so far seen no reason to indicate otherwise. I'll will mine to Ralph if he's nice to me.
    Last edited by ROL; 03-03-2014 at 07:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    That's why I use -3.5 Diopter spotting glasses. Can't see a damn thing unless I'm on the Moon (or reach the print).

A photography teacher once told me a single bottle of spot tone should last your whole life. I've so far seen no reason to indicate otherwise. I'll will mine to Ralph if he's nice to me.
    he will be
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The Spotone formula was simply bought by Marshall's and reissued under their brand label. I can't tell the difference. As far as Kodak scarlet
    goes, a little bottle will last a lifetime, so all you need to find is one. But the specific dye could also be bought from a current dye distributor,
    though obviously at higher cost. And you'd have to cross-identify the exact dye using the CAS number, though there might also be similar
    dyes which would work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I thought I would dig into this thread instead of creating a new one.

I have never spotted prints before (dumb luck means that I haven't had too many spots that have needed touching). I am finding that either I am getting fussier or not as careful and have prints that need a spot or too.

Based on a bit of reading, I have noticed that many recommend Marshall inks. I have now noticed that Freestyle certainly doesn't stock these any more. They are stocking the peerless range as well as the pens. How good are the Peerless inks, or should I really be looking for the Marshall gear?

Cheers

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin