Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,002   Online: 739

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Spotone Replacement

Since Spotone is gone, I'm looking for replacements. After evaluating the commercial products, I heard somewhere of a recipe to make your own from india ink, gum arabic and water. But I can't recall where.

Does anyone have a recipe?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Edward Weston used an india ink and gum arabic mixuture. The formula is reproduced in the original edition of Adams "The Print":

"use equal parts (by weight) of Chinese (stick) ink and gum arabic; dissolve in enough water to cover these ingredients, and mix. Let dry out and mold to suit. Moisten a brush in water (to which a wetting agent may be added), wipe on a piece of paper until the proper gray shows, then apply to the print. A dry brush works much better than a "wet" brush. The amount of gum arabic may be increased 2 or 3 time to increae the sheet of the spotted area of the print."

For what it's worth, a commercial alternative is a set of spotting colors from Marshalls (the folks who make the oil coloring materials).

In my case, I bought a set of SpotTone colors about 30 years ago. I figure that I'm likely to run out before they will.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks

I found it on page 196. Much appreciated!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've been satisfied with Dr. Ph. Martin's Synchromatic Transparent Water Color in sepia. They make a variety of colors to mix for precise color matching. I'll try their black if my stash of Spotone runs out. An art supply store may stock this line. Some of their products, such as Radiant Concentrated Water Color, may not be permanent enough for displayed prints.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I too have run out of Spotone (well, I should have tried to revive the dried out stuff in the bottles). I have recently had good results using Peerless analine dyes (the ones for hand coloring). The pearl grey seemed to be close enough to black when used fairly concentrated, and sepia can always be added for warm tone.

Ken

Peerless Dry Spot works perfectly. Comes in several shades of black and gray.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chinese stick ink comes in two colors depending on the type of wood used to make the charcoal. One is a brownish black and the other a bluish black. This will allow you to reproduce two of the Spottone colors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 6 pack of Spotone inks that have never been opened. I shall post them in the classified section.

Mike

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I sceond the Peerless Dry spot. Very easy to use. A pack of six at B & H should last a lifetime.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch View Post
    Chinese stick ink comes in two colors depending on the type of wood used to make the charcoal. One is a brownish black and the other a bluish black. This will allow you to reproduce two of the Spottone colors.
    Can someone post a picture or a link to an online listing for this sort of ink? I'm going to try the Weston approach, but I want to be sure of what I'm actually looking for. Is it like the ink stick used for sumi-e? Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin