Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,984   Online: 846

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I live here locally in Southern California and pick up my orders on a will call basis from Light Impressions in Brea. I have to plan ahead and anticipate my needs, have always found them to be responsive to my needs (even when I haven't planned well), love the quality of the products that they sell, and, in those years that I have qualified on a volume basis, have received the appropriate discounts. I can count on them, (unlike Ilford, who is a pain in the rear, and constantly never meets their quoted lead times, or returns calls, about meeting my paper needs (sometimes in the hundreds of sheets) for digital print work).

Is this just a bunch of whining by a bunch of little guys about the big guys again?

ctr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    I've been very happy with frames and mats from American Frame.
    I have also been happy with American Frame. I needed several frames quickly once for a show and they shipped it extremely quickly. All I needed to do was request a rush and they did so with no additional charge. 12 custom cut frames shipped same day. They are also much cheaper than Light Impressions for at least the items I get.

Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pharquarx
    I live here locally in Southern California and pick up my orders on a will call basis from Light Impressions in Brea. I have to plan ahead and anticipate my needs, have always found them to be responsive to my needs (even when I haven't planned well), love the quality of the products that they sell, and, in those years that I have qualified on a volume basis, have received the appropriate discounts. I can count on them, (unlike Ilford, who is a pain in the rear, and constantly never meets their quoted lead times, or returns calls, about meeting my paper needs (sometimes in the hundreds of sheets) for digital print work).

Is this just a bunch of whining by a bunch of little guys about the big guys again?

ctr
    No it certainly is not. I had an account with them as I said for about 20 years. I had my account rep (s) and a wholesale/discount account with them for about 10 of them. For awhile, it looked like a revolving door with a new account rep every 3 months to a year. Their service was better when they were in Rochester. I placed orders that they sent to my old address (that I had left 4 to 6 months earlier). I had partial orders sent to me in PA and to the wrong address while the rest of the order was somehow running all around California for 4 weeks and then delivered to the wrong address and damaged. They were having a problem shipping packages for some time. Certainly errors like this (and there were many others) contributed to their financial difficulties- since they either had to supply boards for free and or additionally discounted.

I never really complained about the problems with shipping and the changes in my account rep. And like Robert Hall, I sunk thousands of dollars into products from Light Impressions year after year. Also, as Robert indicated, I could certainly get many of the same products from other sources for less money.

There is certainly something to being be said for a company having some degree of loyalty to its customers and vice versa. Also as Robert has commented and many other photographers and businesses have found having the business arrangements change so that your costs increase 10 - 35% or more increase can certainly have a drastic affect on the work relationship and your pricing.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds to me like the bean counters are running LI. Typical bottom line short sightedness. Kinda remind you of something big and yellow?
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Like I said, there are suppliers that are completely unresponsive, I stand by the example that I give above and will probably have to approach that party through one of their distributors again next week for upwards of 500 sheets to support an upcoming order. Who knows what the delivery timeframe will be, one thing that I can count on is that it won't be what they promise, much less better than promised.

That is not in defense of LI in light of your experiences. All I'm saying is that it can be worse. Rather than a steady string of complaints in a public forum, plan ahead and/or find different suppliers for what you need. For me, this will probably be the last digital project that I do on Ilford fine art paper, the search is on for a replacement, it will probably be Lysonic which I can pretty much get on demand via inkjetart in Utah.

Oh, an admission of digital on this site. Let me say that it has paid for some damned fine film based equipment and a freezer full of film. My daughter's complaint is that we are limited to two pot pies and a half gallon of ice cream per trip to the store because of the stockpile of film in the freezer. I'm one of you.

ctr

Images
    My wife and I have very happily used Documounts out of Portland, Oregon for some fifteen years (in addition to LI). You can find them at www.documounts.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I too have had reliability and delivery problems with LI in the past. They seem to have improved lately, but still. It is hard to order supplies for framing a show six or nine months in advance to make sure you will have what you need in time in case they get backordered, and don't tell you it is backordered until AFTER you have placed the order and they have taken your credit card. THAT I have had happen to me. I still use them though because for certain supplies, they are basically the only game in town, or are the least expensive for that specific item (8 ply mat board comes to mind). If someone here knows a good source for 8-ply mat board full sheets that is less expensive than LI, I'd love to know.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Peter: I have ordered full size boards (I enjoy cutting mats) from Light Impressions, Dick Blick, and American Frame. LI products are great but takes a long time to arrive. Dick Blick is fast, as mentioned before; I'll probably order all boards from them in the future. I usually order my frames from American Frame; they're great to work with also. Regarding precuts from Light Impressions, I think some LI stuff is sold by Calumet, but not sure exactly what.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would suspect a lot of companies are trying to save by restructuring, some items must go because of lack of sales and others are being shipped directly from the manufacturer. Even the manufacturers are making a limited amount until there are enough request. Keeping low inventory is cost effective until you actually need a large order. This is one reason many items are on back order, shipped directly from the manufacturer etc. University Products is located in Holyoke, MA. 800-628-1912. They carry a large inventory of items. Might be faster to receive your order, cost less for shipping and back orders may be less.

http://www.universityproducts.com

Good luck.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've had good luck with archivalmethods.com. Very friendly, ships fast, and never once mess up my purchase (and I live half the world away, outside of USA). They're less expensive compared to LI.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin