Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,175   Online: 759

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    35mm

Looking for alternatives to Light Impressions

Like others who have commented on Light Impressions, I have seen a gradual decline in service over the last few years.

Now the situation has reached the point of no return for me. On July 14th I placed an order -- nothing fancy -- a couple of types of tape, clear corners, crystal clear bags, cotton gloves, burnishing bone, etc. I was told that several items were on back order, but that the others were available.

On August 14th I received a letter stating that "some items" from my order were out of stock, but they were trying to ship them as soon as possible. As it turned out, everything I wanted was now backordered! They gave me the options of cancelling the order or contacting their Customer Service Center to discuss alternatives if I didn't want to wait. Since I didn't have a pressing need for the items, I decided to wait.

Then I received another form letter dated August 30, which said: "Unfortunately, we are unable to fill your order as this item is no longer available." They indicated they had cancelled my back order and that my credit card had not be charged. You can be sure I'll be checking my credit card statement.

It appears to me that Light Impressions is going belly up and/or is in the process of committing organizational suicide. In any event, I won't be placing any further orders with them, as I simply won't put up with such poor service. Moreover, I will advise my photo and artist friends to look for other vendors. It's a shame because Light Impressions was an excellent resource for me for many years.

Al Flory

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    similar story just recently.

i have been doing busy with LI for many years, and have come to the end of my rope.

i talked to several people last week to resolve a 3 week backorder for an order and talk to them about the decline i have noticed and that they were getting a lot of "bad" reviews on serveral photo sites.
    For the most part they didn't seem to care.
    So a little more research and work will bring about busincess for other vendors as I am like many others "finished".
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    In my previous message, I forgot to thank everyone for their suggestions concerning alternatives to Light Impressions.

One more I would add to the list is Documounts: www.documounts.com. I've had positive dealings with them, particularly for metal frames and matboard. Their selection of other products isn't as good as Light Impressions, but then a great selection doesn't do you a whole lot of good if you can't obtain the products in a timely manner.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak
    After a long process of comparing prices for custom cut mat boards, I came across what I believe is THE best price for over mat and custom cut mat board. Let me give you an example of the pricing for you to compare;

13x15" mount board with a 13x15" Over mat custom cut to 8 3/8" to 10 1/4" (for 8x10 contact prints) with both mount board and over mat Bainbridge 100% cotton rag PH balanced 4 ply priced out at $3.26/set (mat and over mat) when you purchase 100 sets. You could do 50 horizontal and 50 verticle when 100 total are ordered. Shipping to Colorado was $43 - not bad. If anyone can fine a cheaper price for this good a mat board in 4 ply, please let me know. These are cut with a computer and my first order was incredible. Packaging and customer service as well as the turn around was incredible. I am going to order a bunch more I was so pleased.

Contact John Schofield at Schofield and Vose Framing in Hamden, CT. at (203) 230 2019. Just a hard working great guy trying to develop a client base and succeed. After pricing Superior and a host of other service providers, this was the best combination of a top product and a great price.

Yep, I am in the same boat as Michael. We combined orders to make use of the great discounts this company offers.
    The material is as good as it gets, as is the craftmanship, and the attention to detail.
    Packaging was a work of art and my mats are flawless even after a long trip to Hawaii.

I got no affiliation with this company but would really like to see people from this forum ordering from them. We got to support those small businesses that are willing to go the extra for the customer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I also had a wholesale account with Light Impressions, and when they fired my account rep and became just another idiotic corporation run by bean counters, I, too, ended my business with them. The fact that I rejected a large percentage of the frames they cut for me made it even easier (QC went waaaayyyy down). I say screw LI for good.

I now get my frames from Documounts and all other materials from United Manufacturers. For the person who required a West Coast supplier, UM has a warehouse in Las Vegas. Shipping costs even for full cases of 32x40 boards is very reasonable.

Bye bye, good riddance to Light Impressions.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Pete for the thread, all of you for your thoughts and especially Paul Sorensen for mentioning American Frame’s no charge rush service. http://www.americanframe.com. After some delays with Light Impressions I decided to try a change. As a trial I ordered two complete Nielsen frames, mats, etc. for one vertical and one horizontal print, 20x24 inch images. When I asked about delivery they said if there is a rush (this is 2 PM) we can ship tomorrow at no additional charge. I will pay sales tax because they are also in Ohio, but not ship 2/3s of the way across country. The rush was to submit two prints next week in a group juried show. Ground service from Light Impressions would be five days after shipment. Any delay would miss the entry day.

There is a peculiarity in American Frame’s on-line software that caused me to stop my order, but a call to customer service brought me back. The mats for this size print require UPS oversize charges of $25 each frame. When questioned why they couldn’t package together the customer service person said they would and the second charge will be deducted. I don’t see why they couldn’t program around that, but their IT people must have higher priorities. All should go well from here, but I will add another post if not.

Thanks,

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm

Light Impressions

I am a struggling photographer trying to make it in this tough economy. I ordered supplies from Light Impressions in January and after not receiving my order for almost a month. To make a long story short, no delivery, no refund, no response from Light Impressions. Contacting the BBB did not help either. They just ignored them. What a lousy company that treats customers like dirt. Good riddance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Tom,

Welcome to APUG. At least as a first-time poster. Sorry it's regarding such a bad experience. You might want to read through the following recent APUG thread, if you have not already done so. It's a pretty sorry tale..

More problems with Light Impressions

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Haxby View Post
    I am a struggling photographer trying to make it in this tough economy. I ordered supplies from Light Impressions in January and after not receiving my order for almost a month. To make a long story short, no delivery, no refund, no response from Light Impressions. Contacting the BBB did not help either. They just ignored them. What a lousy company that treats customers like dirt. Good riddance.
    Contact your credit card company and they can do a chargeback to get you your money back.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin