Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,891   Online: 977

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Alternate to “Light Impressions”

Over time I have ordered materials from Light Impressions. I have been happy with their products, but not happy with their shipping delays or stock outages.

I am wondering if there is an alternate source for precut mat and presentation materials similar to what Light Impressions sells.

Any ideas

Thanks Pete
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Peter,

I am sorry but, I can not be of any help here. Light Impressions has gone through some major changes including ownership over the last 20 or so years. As a photographer, I used to be an official wholesale distributor for their products and could purchase items at wholesale pricing (not the catalog pricing). Then through the last bit of changes right after Photo Plus East at the end of October and the beginning/middle of December there was a shake-up. Light Impressions had "fired" all their account reps but one (who would always be on the road marketing their products). They indicated that the changes that they were making were for the purpose of saving the business. They then apologized but indicated that only bricks and mortar operations making annual purchases in excess of $10,000 or more a year could purchase their products at wholesale pricing as long as it was in their packaging. Needless to say that after having an account with them for almost 20 years (10 years with an account rep and wholesale pricing) this did not sit well with me. I am sure that other photographers in the same boat were not happy. Subsequently I have had to work with other suppliers but, they do not provide the packaging options offered by Light Impressions.

Rich
    Last edited by naturephoto1; 06-08-2006 at 10:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've gotten pre-cuts from Dick Blick (www.dickblick.com) and been pleased with the quality, but I'm not selling my work either, so if you go with my suggestion, get a small quantity and make your own judgement. They ship quickly and have very similar products.

I still get stuff from Light Impressions on occasion, but I know what you mean. I tried to get a small quantity of pre-cut mats second day shipping for a show recently and the shipping was as much as the items ($43) ! I got what I needed from Dick Blick in the same amount of time for half the shipping cost, from the same shipper. An alternative for some of their products might be Freestyle. I get Light Impressions crystal clear protective bags from Freestyle rather than Light Impressions Direct for convenience reasons and it works out great.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had the same problems with Light Impressions and lately they've discontinued some items that I always keep in stock. I've started ordering mat board and other framing supplies from Redimat (www.redimat.com). Their service has been very good and their prices are a bit less.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i will second redimat. Buy in larger amounts and the saving is huge, just one mat and it isn't cost effective.

I did business with Light Impressions for years and had the same experience as Rich .

I wasn't so upset by the fact that i didn't fit into the 10,000 a year range as it was the fact we weren't informed of the change. I had a very large order that got caught in the change and was not informed of the new policy. That is not a way to keep customers. IMO
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not a dealer, but have done all my framing and my wife's (she's a pastel artist) for years, and I've always used Light Impressions. But I've noticed a severe slide downhill ever since they moved from Rochester to California, and I have told them that. Freight on my orders now runs around 25-30% of the cost of the merchandise, about double what it was from NY. And on a recent order of some large frames, the freight was in the 50% range!

However... I have not yet found anyone who has their combination of quality merchandise and reasonably priced frames. But I may try some of the sources mentioned here.

--Eddy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1

<snippy>

They indicated that the changes that they were making were for the purpose of saving the business. They then apologized but indicated that only bricks and mortar operations making annual purchases in excess of $10,000 or more a year could purchase their products at wholesale pricing as long as it was in their packaging. ... this did not sit well with me. I am sure that other photographers in the same boat were not happy.

</snippy>

Rich

I have to jump on the boat here as well, I am rather upset that they did this to all their accounts. I've spent a small fortune over the years as well and I let them know in no uncertain terms that I will take my business elsewhere.

Most of what they had was from over 127 different vendors. I will buy from many of them depending on what it is I need. Many times it's chaper to use the vendor, it was just easier to use LI as a single point of contact.

I just can't see how getting rid of all the smaller folks makes it better for them. Even one of the local photo stores here has raised their prices beyond what is on the website because even thought they run several hundred thousand in sales through their company a month, they dont have the ten grand in sales of thier product they need to get the discount.

In the west there is a company called CMI. http://www.cmimoulding.com/

They just launched a new website with an online catalog. Give them a try.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually Robert, I had a discussion with my account rep, the last that they had. I told him that if they wished to make the changes, that was their right, but they would probably will loosing at least hundreds of thousands to potentially millions of dollars of revenue a year from all the individual photographers and businesses that they were going to cut off.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This is all very interesting. I appreciate all your input. I'll check out the vendors listed above. Thanks.

And to Light Impressions, if your listening, you see what you have done to your customers?

Pete Dendrinos
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been very happy with frames and mats from American Frame.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin