Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,711   Online: 779

Shooter
    Medium Format

Website Calibration

I have a Sony 19" Trinitron. I'm getting ready to scan and load my trannies to my site. Is their such a thing as a "standard" brightness/contrast that works for most web users? Do I have to calibrate for the web?
    Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You should calibrate your monitor at the very least. Unfortunately, you will find most Internet users don't calibrate and may not have good monitors, but it never hurts to present your work in the best way you can. Additionally, you should setup your monitor for PC standards when creating web images.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My Mac has a builit-in tool for this, but on my PC I use a free program called QuickGamma. It is likely not the best option, but you can't beat the price and for what I do, it does a great job. I agree with Robert though, you should use something.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The big thing you will need to watch for is the color gamma. Windows runs at 2.2 and OSX runs at 1.8. That means your perfect looking photo on a mac will look dark and underexposed on a windows box, or perfect on windows then washed out on a mac. What you need to do is make sure the color profile is sRGB (even if it's a B&W image). If you have photoshop use the preview function to see what it will look like on a windows and mac box, then split the difference to make it acceptable for both. That's about all you can do.

Hope it helps.
    D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you use .png formatted image files, they store gamma information internally and browsers can make the proper adjustment for the platform that the image is being viewed on. So image files can be made to display consistently across platforms.

Lee

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin