Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,730   Posts: 1,670,294   Online: 977

Shooter
    Multi Format

What size matboard for a 11"x17" image?

Hello,

I know that personal taste comes into play, but could I get some recommendations for the size of matboard for a 11x17" image (landscape)? - paper is 13x19"

Thanks a lot!

Gu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I mat mine in custom cut 20x24 mats, which has worked very good for me.

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I consider a 3" border to be the absolute minimum, but prefer 4" on each side. As you said, it's personal taste, but it also depends on where they are shown. In a lerge gallery, with high walls and lots of room, you need wider borders than in your house.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    I personally like pics with wider matts... rather than skinny/thin ones...

generally 80 - 100mm border around the print works well for larger prints

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The vast majority of my work is 11x17 on 13 x 19. I standardized on 18 x 24 inch mats, have used that for years now

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guruguhan View Post
    Hello,

I know that personal taste comes into play, but could I get some recommendations for the size of matboard for a 11x17" image (landscape)? - paper is 13x19"

Thanks a lot!

Gu
    It is not necessary that you use a mat which is only little bigger than your photo. You can try to use wider mats as they can look pretty classy too..Your main focus should be on the color of the mat & if it complements your photo on not.. Even white can look great if you use a mat which is cut fine and even. Would you prefer to buy a mat board or just cut it yourself? If you are not too artistic and creative, you can simply purchase mat boards online at very cheap prices via arttoframe. I have added some photos to show you how wide and narrow mats look. This will help you make your final decision depending upon the type of your photograph. My personal favorite are wide mats and that too in white color as they give a vintage yet classy look but you can choose colors too!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7165352023_93b8f55a96.jpg   matframes2c.jpg   3ddf953a1ae5e51dfbf6bca0a3a9a186.jpg   img5o.jpg   black-frame-family-wall-gallery.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    between two and four inches or bigger according to taste. BUT if you are buying off the peg frames then you are stuck with the standard frame sizes you can lay your hands on and that will dictate your mat size. On the other hand, if you are taking it to a framer to get a custom frame made then take their advice on border width and they should be able to show you in shop what it will look like. If you are making your own frames then two to four inches or bigger according to taste. The bigger the image, the wider the mat border.

It should look balanced and that usually means same border width left/right/top and bottom border can be a small amount wider but for that size print I personally would use same border width all round.

I'm not a fan of massive borders with little image in center but sometimes it does look good. And consider the space you want to allocate to it on your wall which may be the deciding factor.

And if you are using off the peg frames you need to consider the size and aspect ratio you need to make your print to suit the standard frame size. It's a chiken and egg situation. Does the image size drive the frame size or does the frame size drive the image size. You need to put your head in gear for it to all work together.

Like in David Havens second image example above, that balance and sizing of frames relative to one another doesn't happen by accident. It needs to be thought through before hand and all sizing of images and frames and spacing must be calculated prior to printing anything.
    Last edited by RobC; Yesterday at 06:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    An old dog learning new tricks

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    The largest common paper size is 11x17 inches. The easiest option is to use the entire sheet and print a 11x17 image. If your camera is an SLR, which normally has an image aspect ratio of 3:2, this is a convenient because it requires no cropping. An un-cropped image printed on 11x17 paper will only lose one-half inch of the image.
    Many companies, uses inexpensive ready-made frames with mats in these sizes. It depends upon the customers taste as to what kind of frame they require.
    You can also browse http://www.arttoframe.com/11x17_picture_frames/1 to select best frames.
    Some other links are-
    http://www.fullimageframes.com/11x17-frames.html
    http://www.hollywoodposterframes.com...parent=19&pg=1

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 53ec80dd192ed97368137f44a6f4619d.image.550x550.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin