Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,663   Online: 929

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm impressed. In my experience most people attending arts and crafts fairs are there for a bargain or to find something they can copy and make themselves. I think it's geat you sold some prints. Your work must be exceptional and compelling.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a lot of work just showing your work, at least you sold some, meaning that people are interested. Good going, it's better to sell a few than just having them in boxes at home. Only you can say if it was worth while. I think so.

Curt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Rob, I'm glad that it worked well for you. I wish you even greater success in the future.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    Rob,

From a customer point of view I think a variety in sizes is probably helpful to generate sales. Since you can't go any smaller than the 8x10 contact prints, you are limited there. But, I think you might be able to generate more interest if you had an example 8x10 negative displayed perhaps along with the camera. That would probably make a fair amount of potential customers very curious, give a sense of something well out of the ordinary and aligned to their idea of the great popular iconic landscape photographers like Ansel Adams who use such large cameras.

Frame a couple of those matted 8x10s as well. That way they could have the option of a ready-to-hang print at a lower price than the 16x20s. The convenience factor might kick in there and spur further sales. I know if I were to buy a print I generally wouldn't want to frame it myself and I'd realize a custom frame job would cost extra which might make me think twice about a purchase.

Joe
    Good advice! People appreciate LF photography more when they see the equipment and get an idea of how you work for those negatives. Most have never seen an image on a ground glass.

I've learned to offer both black and silver frames. The local arts & crafts show provides the opportunity to frame or unframe photos, or to swap frames. I don't have to have a huge stock of framed photos. Also, some people seem to enjoy watching craftsmen at work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Congrats Rob!
    I busted my first show in Boulder, Co.
    Try and think in terms of "multiples of expenses," 2 times, 3 times, 4 times and so on. Then average it out between multiple shows. If one show sucks, maybe the next will be better.
    How were the wall prints displayed? Do you have solid panels, or mess fabric? Enough light from the top?
    Take credit cards? Give out good looking business cards?
    I know it will be more work, but I would offer at least 3 sizes. Add 11x14's, that way the customer has clearly defined price breaks. I have everything that in on the walls in the bin.
    You did $700!!! Great start!
    Good luck, and maybe someday I'll do a show up there!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch
    I was selling prints in two sizes... 8x10 black and white prints matted to 16x20 for $100 and 16x20 black and white prints matted and framed with a nice black wood frame for $300.

Open to comments and suggestions.

-Rob Skeoch
    colour will outsell B&W

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim
    colour will outsell B&W
    Perhaps, but at the same price level?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From what I have learned talking to photographers at the 3 main art fairs in Omaha each year you did pretty good for the first time out. Pretty much all the other posts cover what I learned from them. But they seemed especially keen on offering 2 or three sizes and price points and the most successful either sold prints in frames or had framing samples and offered to ship a framed print to the buyer later for the extra charge.

They all also accepted credit and debit cards for payment and said they rarely made a sale for cash with that option available to customers. Much easier for the potential customer to pull the trigger on $300-$600 on plastic then pulling cash out of the wallet.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks everyone for the tips... I have another show in July to try.
    I did take MC/visa and 4 of the sales were put on plastic.
    I had my wisner 8x10 at the front of the booth and had a 8x10 neg there as well.... I must have explained more than a 100 times how the camera worked, that it's not old, that I still use it.
    I had a dark cloth with me and let people look through the camera, especially if their other half was looking at prints or they had kids who looked bored.
    Everyone who looked through the camera said it was cool... and when I said to people that I still use the camera some of them had pure shock on their face.
    I was surprised that so few had ever heard of an 8x10 before and that people were surprised I still shot film in this digital age.
    To me it doesn't seem that long ago that we were all shooting film.
    As far as colour vs b&w goes, I've heard colour sells better. Oh well, I'm not really interested in shooting just to sell prints, or to print on RC paper, or to shoot digital. I'd rather sell fewer, explain about 8x10 more and offer something that I think is nice. Besides I was the only one at the show offering only b&w. If I shot colour I'd be just another photographer in the mix.
    -Rob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If I shot colour I'd be just another photographer in the mix.
    An insult like that, after all the free advice I gave?
    B&W does very well in Colorado, and good thing we're not all selling commercial prints!
    Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin