Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,935   Online: 1180

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    What I'm looking for is, what's really *needed* to sell prints.
    Until you're established and people have an interest in your work solely because it's your work, I'm sorry to say that I think what's really *needed* is a low price. That, and relentless, even fanatical self promotion.

I believe it's 10% photography and 90% marketing.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I have to agree with this 100% Also everytime you sell an item keep track of the mailing addresses and once or twice a month send out a mailing / newsletter to everyone to keep them informed as to what you are up to and new images as well as any specials you might have for that newsletter.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Donald, check out www.americanframe.com
    They offer a free custom cut mat with every frame ordered. The mats are cut to size and a window opening. They are acid free mats in various colors. (The shipping for the larger sizes is not worth it, though.) The standard frame is a nice frame and you can get glass at your local glass shop. I think framed work sells better in a place like a coffee shop, and matted work sells okay in an art gallery, but framed looks better esp. with proper gallery lighting. Collectors may buy unmatted prints. Oh, and the buyer has to connect with the photograph in order to buy it (unless it is a give-away price), so it is much more likely to sell if they see it in person than online. Good luck!

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    Until you're established and people have an interest in your work solely because it's your work, I'm sorry to say that I think what's really *needed* is a low price. That, and relentless, even fanatical self promotion.

This is the the most true statement anyone has given on here about selling prints. The people that make it have thick skin and market the ever loving sh^t out of their work. You must be dilligent and fanatical about pushing your work if you want to make a living.

If you just want to sell a few prints online is ok but research who's buying. I found ebay hurts the value of my work as my previous clients aren't too happy to see cheap prints going online for alot less than what they paid, so I've cut off the ebay special deals. You'll also find much strategy involved with ebay selling and getting help in bidding up your prints is obviously something people do. Also search the completed auctions to see whats selling over the last few weeks on ebay and you'll see that sales are pretty slow. You can also search the completed sales for individual sellers and see what they have sold recently.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

For business people, you are right. However, business people may find other products easier to peddle than photographs. For photographers, it's more photography than marketing.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you are attempting to sell a lot of images I wish you well. I would not think to sell an image with out a matt on it. Presentation is a big part of it.

good luck,

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones
    For business people, you are right. However, business people may find other products easier to peddle than photographs. For photographers, it's more photography than marketing.
    Any time you sell anything, it's business.

The most successful fine art photgapher I know spends more than 50% of his time marketing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Any time you sell anything, it's business.

The most successful fine art photgapher I know spends more than 50% of his time marketing.
    That only happened to Ansel late in his life. It never happened to Edward Weston except, perhaps, as a struggling young photographer still seeking the style he is remembered for.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones
    That only happened to Ansel late in his life. It never happened to Edward Weston except, perhaps, as a struggling young photographer still seeking the style he is remembered for.
    MOST of the artists I know, famous or merely surviving, spend far more time than they'd like on the marketing of their work if they want to sell it. There is this horrible myth out there about the artist being "discovered" and vaulting into the ranks of the famous. Basically, that happens only in movies. Everyone else has to be a consummate salesperson for their own work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably worth repeating.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin