Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,536   Online: 1383

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    The truest thing stated. I'm not willing to destroy the enjoyment of my hobby by going here, so I print what I want, and I usually give them away (or pile them up!) Some folks have the need to sell as gratification and self approval.
    And some people pursue a vocation/career in a field that interests them and in doing so make a living. How good a living depends on how proficient they are at the craft and how capable they are in marketing said craft.

That vocation can bring incredible enjoyment to them as well as to the people they sell their work to.

An aside to this is that the more people pay for something of artistic value very often the more enjoyment they get from it. A quirk of human nature.
    Not always but it consistently happens.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    And some people pursue a vocation/career in a field that interests them and in doing so make a living. How good a living depends on how proficient they are at the craft and how capable they are in marketing said craft.

That vocation can bring incredible enjoyment to them as well as to the people they sell their work to.

An aside to this is that the more people pay for something of artistic value very often the more enjoyment they get from it. A quirk of human nature.
    Not always but it consistently happens.

Michael

ah...Michael, there's dog...eh, humping your leg....shoo him away man!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto
    Do you see anywhere on my personal website where it says Open Edition? Do you?

I suggest you understand what you are talking about before putting your foot in mouth.

Every single print on my personal website is a limited edition print and as stated they are all sold matted and mounted. Yes I can read what I wrote and the images on my personal website are sold as listed and specified as it is said on my PERSONAL WEBSITE.

These people were referring to my ebay store so as expected you do even know what all the fuss was about. Did you even bother to read this thread? Probably not as it seems you just like most others just chime in and speak without getting all the facts straight.

Nowhere on my website do I even mention an OPEN EDITION print that is unmated or unmounted as EVERY SINGLE IMAGE on my website is a LIMITED EIDTION PRINT THAT IS MOUNTED AND MATTED AS DESCRIBED BY WHAT YOU COPIED AND PASTE below to the specified size as noted in the text that you read.
    What an ass you are. You need to get over yourself.
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On a completely different aspect, look at this:

http://www.silvergrain.org/g2/v/Unca...geViewsIndex=2

It was probably made for painters, but photographers and non-painters in general can learn something from it. (Indeed, I found this in a sculptor's studio.)

(I tried to upload the JPEG directly on APUG but they didn't like the size...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, I'll chime in...
    I agree with Mr. Carnie.
    On the show circuit the competition is extreme. Something that might seem insignificant to me is a big deal to the customer, like flexibility. I tried all variations of presentation you can think of, but the best selling ones are mounted on same size archival foam board, without any mats...
    That way the customer can choose the mats later to match their decor, because most of the time they're just looking for "wall decoration."
    FWIW.
    Long live Ciba!!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think there are probably as many ways to sell photographs as there are photographers. What works for one may not work for others - there are too many variables like; where you are selling, the venue you are selling in, the photographers own inclinations (for example, I suspect I would be lousy in the show circuit, since I don't have the temperment or desire to participate in them).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky

And a better statement of why I'm interested in selling my photographs couldn't be made. All my life I've labored at tasks I wound up hating, making other people rich. Here, I see the glimmer of hope that I might finally be able to live the dream of making my living doing something I'd do if I had to pay to do it -- and even if I never make a living at it, it'll be a lot easier to keep doing it if I can at least make it self sustaining.

I don't know if I can market my work well enough to make this a reality -- or, really (until I try it) whether my work is really good enough in itself. But if I don't try, in another thirty years I'll be old, decrepit, half-blind, and bitter, and photography will be just another thing I used to enjoy. Might be the case anyway, of course... :P
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    As far as I am concerned I am done with this thread. Water under the bridge.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    And a better statement of why I'm interested in selling my photographs couldn't be made. All my life I've labored at tasks I wound up hating, making other people rich. Here, I see the glimmer of hope that I might finally be able to live the dream of making my living doing something I'd do if I had to pay to do it -- and even if I never make a living at it, it'll be a lot easier to keep doing it if I can at least make it self sustaining.

I don't know if I can market my work well enough to make this a reality -- or, really (until I try it) whether my work is really good enough in itself. But if I don't try, in another thirty years I'll be old, decrepit, half-blind, and bitter, and photography will be just another thing I used to enjoy. Might be the case anyway, of course... :P
    Donald

The simplest first step is to make the prints and start looking for avenues to sell your work. As long as the work is truly first rate and *your *vision , then others will see it as well and want to purchase.
    I think others have pointed out that selling prints is not the end all be all aspect of photography, but you are right why not try to make some kind of income from your work.
    I personally am very lucky in the fact that I print for others and enjoy most of the time in the darkroom. My financial rewards are not as great as other professions by a long shot , but the personal satisfaction of pleasing other photographers is worth it.
    I too am starting to think of selling my own photographs , I am not sure where and to who , but I will definately try.
    I think that you should make every effort to have a show once every two years in a gallery setting if you can , and better yet in a city or country not of your own. By doing a show you are basically facing the music to see what people think of your work and as well you will learn from every show you do.
    Every photographer that has produced a show through our lab has learned from the experience. Some sell every print and others sell none, but I can assure you something good always comes from the effort.
    Marketing , is key as others have pointed out , and it can be as simple as placing your work in the right location at the right time.

good luck with your efforts

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Donald, I've just read the whole thread which I found very interesting. My 2 pence worth is that I sell prints mounted and matted using 4 ply white museum board but I also sell flattened unmounted prints too. Some buyers want the print to be unmounted some don't and I'm happy either way. For example, in the past 6 weeks I've sold 20 portfolios of 6 prints not mounted or matted but in a portfolio box but at the same time I've sold 5 single prints that have been dry mounted and matted as described above.

I believe that so long as the prints are properly processed, professionally re-touched and they are flat with no dog eared corners etc then they should sell if they are shown in the right market place. As has been said many times in this thread, presentation and marketing are very important areas to pay attention too in the print sales market place.

Best wishes in your endeavours.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin