Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,417   Online: 729

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Taking Credit Cards - Best Way for Temporary Use?

I once had a store - sold used computers. So I had a VISA/MC merchant account, and a Zon Jr swipe machine, and it all worked, but it cost a fortune, and I was glad to be rid of it when I sold the business, years ago.

Now I have been invited to purchase a table at a local town festival, and I believe I'd like to try selling some prints. I realize from reading other threads that it would be a good idea if I could offer to take credit cards as well as cash or (with some trepidation) checks. However, I neither want, nor do I need, another four-year commitment to a merchant account and a leased swipe capture machine. And this will be an outdoor event anyway, no A/C and no phone line. Just a table.

I was thinking that perhaps I could find someone to partner with who already has this capability and would share for a small cut - but that's about all I can think of, and I have no other ideas. And the organizers are not much help, they have no idea who, if anyone, has c.c. acceptance capability.

Any thoughts? Or is this just a lost cause?
    Best,

Wiggy

Note to Self: Tse-Tse Fly - No Antidote

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is there a way to work paypal into the process?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    Is there a way to work paypal into the process?
    I am a paypal merchant, so I checked them out. Yes, they'll set me up to take 'call in' purchases - the customer calls on my cell phone, makes the purchase, gets approved, I give them the print. Costs $20 per month and a contract, plus normal fees and of course this is not very convenient.

Other thoughts - I considered bringing my laptop out with some kind of wireless phone card and having them do the purchase online as if it were a 'web purchase'. But that is pretty amateur night, and would fail quickly as the event is 8 hours long and no A/C. And I have no phone card anyway, which kind of scotches that.

Yeah, a real head-scratcher. I want to be able to take credit cards, but I suspect I may be up the creek on this.
    Best,

Wiggy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take a look at Propay, they are located at www.propay.com

Other than Paypal, Propay or the reg route, you are pretty limited on your options.

R.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find most people at street festivals use the old knuckle busters. Not sure how the bank charges for that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    I find most people at street festivals use the old knuckle busters. Not sure how the bank charges for that.
    Gotta have a merchant account to get one of those. It would seem that there is no way to do that without signing up for a minimum monthly fee and a lengthy contract.
    Best,

Wiggy

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxi331
    Take a look at Propay, they are located at www.propay.com

Other than Paypal, Propay or the reg route, you are pretty limited on your options.

R.
    Thanks! I looked it over, just at a glance it appears to be just the same as Paypal - dial in to do the transaction over the phone. Difference is an 'annual fee' of at least $60. A bit stiff for a one-shot weekend festival. If I were going into business, this might be just the ticket though. I'll keep it logged and give it some thought, thank you!
    Best,

Wiggy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I doubt your going to find a way to take credit cards without signing up somewhere such as propay, or paying a monthly fee as you do with a merchant account or the paypal virtual terminal, I pay $59.95 a year with propay and a small percentage of sales for processing fee's, it is the cheapest way I have found to accept credit cards for small buisnesses..that don't want the multi year contracts and such.

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wigwam Jones
    Thanks! I looked it over, just at a glance it appears to be just the same as Paypal - dial in to do the transaction over the phone. Difference is an 'annual fee' of at least $60. A bit stiff for a one-shot weekend festival. If I were going into business, this might be just the ticket though. I'll keep it logged and give it some thought, thank you!
    I have never called a transaction in, I process all of my stuff over the net..if you want to make sure your transaction is approved before they take the product home, your going to have to have someway, either online processing or over the phone to get the transaction approved...I figure for the cost of the account, my increased sales has paid for it many times over, in addition I can use it for ebay sales and other stuff, I just sold a lawnmower and the guy didn't have all the cash, so I was able to go into my office and process the balance through propay and had all of the money, instead of him making a couple of payments, works pretty good. Our street fairs are held in the same park as the chamber of commerce has their offices, so I just use my wireless to connect through their connection, might be an option.

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxi331
    I have never called a transaction in, I process all of my stuff over the net..

R.
    I'm hip - I sell Shantou Era B&W film and take Paypal over the net. But at a street festival, that's just going to be a bit hard. Well, worth asking. I was wondering what others did. Seems like they either 'go pro or go home' in that sense, eh?
    Best,

Wiggy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin