Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,660   Online: 945

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    FWIW, from someone who cannot program a vcr let alone a web page, I recommend an intuitively easy to read layout for your readers. I, and many of the folks I know who are web readers will simply leave a flash page or one which is too busy without reading them unless we KNOW there is something there for us.

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the help and PM's. It seems there are a lot of choices out there, and shouldn't be too hard to get something going!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Suzanne, at the risk of being redundant, I've designed many sites for both myself and others and even tried some of the open source CMS sites out there.

The site software I've finally settled on is called pixelpost. It is meant to be photoblogging software but it is easily customizable and has quite a few pre-designed templates already available for it. Once it's running, it requires absolutely no HTML or any other coding to add photographs to. Additionally, it is by far the easiest to install and get up and running out of all the content managements systems I've tried.

If you're interested you can see my site up and running here: www.jansengunderson.com

I'd be happy to lend a hand if you're interested in it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The trouble with most CMS software is that it is almost as difficult to use as learning HTML.... All the freeware ones I have looked at have badly written manuals (where they have one at all) and assume that you already understand the concepts behind the way the CMS works. They tend to have acres of documentation on how to create new templates and other techie areas, but little on the basics of how to get a usable site up and running and organize the pages.

I've looked at several of them (Drupal, Joomla, Mambo, PHP-Nuke, PHP Website, Post-Nuke and Xoops - I've not tried pixelpost!) and decided that the simplest of them is actually the best for my purposes - namely Drupal. Look at Michael Kenna's site (http://www.michaelkenna.net/): a clean design like that would be relatively easy to code, or build in Drupal.

Having said all that, the site I started building in Drupal (www.bobfphoto.com) has been in its present very unfinished testing state for over 6 months and for my business site I used Dreamweaver... :o

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul Butzi has an article about photography website at:
    http://www.butzi.net/articles/website3.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Suzanne,

I always cringe a little when I see posts like yours. Why not do what you do best and let the Designer do what they do best. I'm talking trade here. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Designers love photography. You're in a good area (East coast) to find some awsome talent. Don't settle for some cheese-eating kid who "knows" Photoshop and Dreamweaver. You can afford to wait for the right person.

Start networking and find the Designer you want to do your site and trade with him/her. Everybody wins.

Then again cash is always nice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I've done the el cheapo route already, I think it's time to get a professionally designed website for myself, Alan. I hope I didn't give the impression that I want to do it myself. I'm not a designer by any stretch of the imagination, and even less of a computer geek. So.. I am certainly willing to pay (or trade!). I'm just trying to get an idea about what to pay.

I have found a few online services that design templates specifically for photographers, one of which has some designs I quite like. I just wanted to know if there are other's out there. I've been looking at lots of photographers' websites, too for ideas.

BobF... I quite like Gallery 1 on your site.

And a general question... what is wrong with flash? Don't get me wrong, I don't want to Las Vegas blinking light type of display, but I don't mind scrolling through a series of images where the fade in and out between them when you click an arrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Suzanne, I agree with Cheryl. It doesn't need too much learning to get started to make your own website. I did mine also myself: www.kuvakonttuuri.fi Well, my site doesn't look very professional but I'm not a professional photographer and yet I have clients...

And want to add, please, do not use flash. Flash-sites look good but I know too many people, including me, who don't even open the pages made with flash. And don't make it too complicated. Keep it simple and stylish is always the best. IMO .
    - Heli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy
    BobF... I quite like Gallery 1 on your site.
    It's a freebee (though it does use Flash...). Some display details are customizable. You can download it at http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/

I do think the idea of trading with a local web designer is your best bet - I didn't think of that...

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    It's a freebee (though it does use Flash...). Some display details are customizable. You can download it at http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/

I do think the idea of trading with a local web designer is your best bet - I didn't think of that...

Good luck, Bob.
    Trades sound good, but what is a ballpark figure (or range) a good designer would charge for a basic photo web site?

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin