Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,862   Posts: 1,583,180   Online: 721

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mat Board and Custom Cutting Service

After a long process of comparing prices for custom cut mat boards, I came across what I believe is THE best price for over mat and custom cut mat board. Let me give you an example of the pricing for you to compare;

13x15" mount board with a 13x15" Over mat custom cut to 8 3/8" to 10 1/4" (for 8x10 contact prints) with both mount board and over mat Bainbridge 100% cotton rag PH balanced 4 ply priced out at $3.26/set (mat and over mat) when you purchase 100 sets. You could do 50 horizontal and 50 verticle when 100 total are ordered. Shipping to Colorado was $43 - not bad. If anyone can fine a cheaper price for this good a mat board in 4 ply, please let me know. These are cut with a computer and my first order was incredible. Packaging and customer service as well as the turn around was very quick - within a week. I am going to order a bunch more I was so pleased. If you have a particular board that you want to have him quote, let him know. He purchases in quantity to get the best pricing so keep that in mind.

Contact John Schofield at Schofield and Vose Framing in Hamden, CT. at (203) 230 2019. Just a hard working great guy trying to develop a client base and succeed. After pricing Superior and a host of other service providers, this was the best combination of a top product and a great price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DIY options?

I am one who frequently doesn't produce an image that fits a standard matt, so I went the diy route. That auction site yielded a logan mat cutter including shipping for under $80, and a 11x14 dry mount press for about $160 also incl shipping. Apart from v-grooving, there is not a matt that I have yet failed at producing a same as professional result.

I am not into print sales, so this is not a cost/profit centre issue. I find that I put out about 1 finished print an hour. If it is colour I will spray and roll mount. RC b&w might be spray mounted a well. I know that there are ways to mount fibre prints without dry mount, but they are all so tortured compared to what dry mount tissue yields.

I am lucky enough to be able to buy matt and mount board at a place not far from my house - like 5 miutes driving round trip, and the price for 32x40 is like $8, with all taxes in.

The inner cut outs from larger prints become matts that frame non-standard sized prints that I use to decorate my front hall. Living with them this way will often lead me to a better way to print them a few months down the road.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Michael, That seems to be a very good price. Especially when you factor time into the equation.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Michael, That seems to be a very good price. Especially when you factor time into the equation.
    That is what I felt was the case Don. Considering the precision accuracy of the computerized mat cuts on the over mat there is no way I could attain this degree of precision with my manual cutter. Add into the equation the time I would allocate to this process and it frees me up to focus singularly on making photographs and the darkroom.

If you decide to give John a call, give him my best. He is a good man and will treat you right. I will order from him again shortly.

Onward!

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    how about 8 ply boards
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Couldn't you have posted this a couple of weeks ago? I just ordered a buch of boards from Redimat, but I'll keep this company in mind for next time for a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by ann
    how about 8 ply boards
    John can price it any way that you need board and that includes 8 ply.

I only posted the 4 ply as a reference point to compare apples to apples as these proportions and board thickness are pretty standard.

The reason that I did not post this information earlier is because I wanted to make sure that the product I received was packaged professionally and the worksmanship and the cuts were in fact as top drawer as I expected. I was not disappointed in any way.

When you have time just give John a call and he can price out anything that you want with no pressure. I am going to order some 8x20 and 11x14 mats soon so if anyone wants to aggregate an order to meet the minimums just let me know.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    At this price ,Michael, I think I might convert from cutting myself, do they have antique white?Thank you for posting this. To return a favor I don't know if you were the one looking for a polyestor custom size protection sleves and also custom cut storage boxes, when I was in California last year at Kim Westons, Gina gave me a name of a company and I have had very good luck with them, The name of the place is Conservation Resources out of Virginia 18006346932, the lady I have been dealing is Lavonia and if you deal with 13x15 mats, which I'm, she has all the right mesurments for the boxes and sleves, you might call and request a catolog, polyestor took about two months to get , but it is deffenetly worth it , I ship my work when I package it, it looks great. As far as the boxes, just tell her the same size as ILYA ASKINAZI , I had to ship a few of them back for corrections, but now they fit nice and snug without much movement.

Quote Originally Posted by ilya1963
    At this price ,Michael, I think I might convert from cutting myself, do they have antique white?Thank you for posting this. To return a favor I don't know if you were the one looking for a polyestor custom size protection sleves and also custom cut storage boxes, when I was in California last year at Kim Westons, Gina gave me a name of a company and I have had very good luck with them, The name of the place is Conservation Resources out of Virginia 18006346932, the lady I have been dealing is Lavonia and if you deal with 13x15 mats, which I'm, she has all the right mesurments for the boxes and sleves, you might call and request a catolog, polyestor took about two months to get , but it is deffenetly worth it , I ship my work when I package it, it looks great. As far as the boxes, just tell her the same size as ILYA ASKINAZI , I had to ship a few of them back for corrections, but now they fit nice and snug without much movement.
    You are welcome Ilya. When one finds a resource that makes sense (logistically and economically) my approach is to simply pass it on so that everyone that has the passion for expressing themselves through photography can access to it. I am sure that John can provide you with a variety of mat colors that meet your needs. I ordered Bright White. Remember, as long as John can sell a minimum quantity and not be left with any excess mat he is happy. That is why he is mandating the minimum quantity. The more you can order the better pricing he can give you. The computer cutting fees are already set so it is a pass through to the customer.

Michael and Paula turned me on to Conservation Resources and I have received a number of their custom negative and print boxes. I am wating on Lavonia to let me know about the negative folders I have had on order for 18 months + . Hope that they can figure out the paper stock problems so they can finally provide me my negative folders.

Cheers!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Thanks Michael, I will give him a call for uncut mats. Even though I do 7 x 17 I find that when I trim, most of the time the image is basically the same size, but sometimes, I cut it down a little bit more. I also cut the same mat board for my 8 x 10 prints as well. Cutting it myself allows more options too on the size of the matting.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin