Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,518   Online: 1036

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Maybe you should give your client and others credit for maybe, possibly, knowing a thing or two about frames and proper framing proceedures. I happen to be a very accomplished framer. Happily frame my stuff and other folk's stuff. Your assumption that I needed to be educated about frames and proper framing proceedures says alot. DO you make this naive assumption about your clients as well? I stand by my original post.
    Give it a rest.

Geez, you are not the only one with an opinion. Ryan makes perfect sense. I personally used to FRAME also and I do not offer my prints in standard sizes as I want my clients to go to a print shop and have a nice frame on the image and not a cheap Wal-Mart or Costco $5 frame on the artwork to cheapen the work that is presented.

Also by offering odd size mats you help support the small frames shops instead of the large corporation that are putting mom and pop shops out of business.

I think Ryan’s point is completely valid and not arrogant in any matter.

Man oh man is it the time of the month again or what?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto
    Give it a rest.

Geez, you are not the only one with an opinion. Ryan makes perfect sense. I personally used to FRAME also and I do not offer my prints in standard sizes as I want my clients to go to a print shop and have a nice frame on the image and not a cheap Wal-Mart or Costco $5 frame on the artwork to cheapen the work that is presented.

Also by offering odd size mats you help support the small frames shops instead of the large corporation that are putting mom and pop shops out of business.

I think Ryan’s point is completely valid and not arrogant in any matter.

Man oh man is it the time of the month again or what?

Kevin,

You make a great point that I forgot to mention. The fact that I would rather support the small guy or gal that has the family owned business, rather then some huge corporation which puts the small guy out of business.

Ryan McIntosh

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarize
    I've just printed some portraits for a customer (6 X 7's of their baby) and part of the deal is that I matt them. Logically I should probably go with a standard size matt so they don't need to be custom framed, something I can do, but I can't help thinking that an irregular matt size might look better.

Is it unethical or particularly unusual to go with an irregular size, essentially forcing custom framing? (consider likelihood of me being the one to do it).

I wouldn't use irregular sizing just to force the extra cost of framing it specially. An artistic, not business decision will be the deciding factor, but I am just not too sure what size to go with.

Is it wrong to use an irregular size matt?

What size would people here matt a 5X7 to? 11X14 seems perhaps the best with 8X10 looking a little small. Maybe I'm being too fussy.

In any instance I would like to standardize on a size as I want to get a fair bit of glass cut and it'll be expensive for me to keep going back for different sizes.

Thanks for any opinions
    Think of framing and matting as profit centers, do what makes your work look best.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks again, some interesting points have been raised here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin