Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,312   Online: 891

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

customer matt size

I've just printed some portraits for a customer (6 X 7's of their baby) and part of the deal is that I matt them. Logically I should probably go with a standard size matt so they don't need to be custom framed, something I can do, but I can't help thinking that an irregular matt size might look better.

Is it unethical or particularly unusual to go with an irregular size, essentially forcing custom framing? (consider likelihood of me being the one to do it).

I wouldn't use irregular sizing just to force the extra cost of framing it specially. An artistic, not business decision will be the deciding factor, but I am just not too sure what size to go with.

Is it wrong to use an irregular size matt?

What size would people here matt a 5X7 to? 11X14 seems perhaps the best with 8X10 looking a little small. Maybe I'm being too fussy.

In any instance I would like to standardize on a size as I want to get a fair bit of glass cut and it'll be expensive for me to keep going back for different sizes.

Thanks for any opinions

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    use what size fits the image, don't force it into something , just because.

you can standardize a size; i.e. 14x18 for anything 8x10 and less.
    or 16x20 for everthingk, that that does not require custom cutting glass.

you need to show your work off in the best light, and that includes regular or irregular matt dimensions.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Using standared mat sizes has many advantages, not only for the one job, but for future jobs. I can keep my cost (and more important, price to the buyer) down on photographs by buying mat board, glass, and frames in quantity in one size and style. However, these photos are for sale at arts & crafts shows. It is different when doing custom work. The mat and frame are the interface between the image and its environment. The image, and the way it is presented, should fit well with wherever the customer chooses to display them. Consult with the customer. Present the various options and costs. Let them make the final decision.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Personally, I use irregular mat sizes for all images for several reason.

The first reason is I feel that for my 8x10 prints, 14x17 looks the best. 11x14 is to small and 16x20 is to big.

Second, I use odd sized mat's so the buyer HAS to have the print custom framed! If the person gets a standard sized matted print, they can very easy go to Walmart and pick up some crummy gold plastic frame to put your beautiful print it, which in result is degrading to your work.

If the buyer is forced to have the print customed framed, the framer will take into consideration how the frame will match the artwork and custom frames are usually more high quality.

So anyways, I suggest only doing odd mat sizes.

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    With me, matting falls into that indefinable area of "What Works - and What Doesn't." It is as much an aesthetic decision as anything else. Definitely, the print size, the frame and mat size - and color - all have an effect in the presentation ... but I, so far, haven't found anything like a "formula"... that even comes close to "What Works".

You are working with a client - someone who may - probably does - perceive images differently, so the only advice I could give is to work with them.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    You are working with a client - someone who may - probably does - perceive images differently, so the only advice I could give is to work with them.
    I Agree completely, talk with your customer.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh
    Personally, I use irregular mat sizes for all images for several reason.

The first reason is I feel that for my 8x10 prints, 14x17 looks the best. 11x14 is to small and 16x20 is to big.

Second, I use odd sized mat's so the buyer HAS to have the print custom framed! If the person gets a standard sized matted print, they can very easy go to Walmart and pick up some crummy gold plastic frame to put your beautiful print it, which in result is degrading to your work.

If the buyer is forced to have the print customed framed, the framer will take into consideration how the frame will match the artwork and custom frames are usually more high quality.

So anyways, I suggest only doing odd mat sizes.

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net
    This has to be the most arrogant thing I have ever read.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't print standard sizes, but I do try to keep the mats standard size (not always, but best effort). I've bought prints from people before that were mounted in such a way that they needed odd sized frames and it really is a pain. I'd like to make my customer's purchase as easy as possible. Making someone buy such an odd sized frame/glass if they want to frame it themselves doesn't make it very easy.

Just my 2 cents.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interesting points from all. In the end i went with 12X11, I liked the look and it was economical considering the overall size of the board that I buy.

I see your point Ryan, but I figure if someone is willing to spend what it takes to get me to their house and take photographs of their children, and is willing to spend on the cost of the prints, they are unlikely to put the work in a cheap frame or be too peturbed by the cost of custom framing. By the same token, I'm sort of using that as further justification to the fact I very much liked the result of a 12X11 matt.

I think I might specify the overall matt size I would prefer or tend to use (along with the print size) and give the customer the option of requesting a smaller matt should they prefer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarize
    ...I think I might specify the overall matt size I would prefer or tend to use (along with the print size) and give the customer the option of requesting a smaller matt should they prefer.

Sounds like a reasonable compromise. Just out of curiosity, what size matt borders are you going to have, is the print going to be centered?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin