Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,614   Online: 1200

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Selling photographs

Here is one example of my photography. Recently I've attempted to sell the odd print through eBay. I managed to sell one for £5 (a street scene) and thought I was onto a winning idea. If only I could sell more prints at this price. So, I went ahead and listed more and to my disappointment nobody bidded. So what I'm asking is two things, are my prints worthy of selling and what is the best way to go about selling your photographs?
    Last edited by Jarvman; 09-24-2007 at 03:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last edited by Sean; 09-21-2006 at 01:04 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: moderated

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It is really hard to determine the strength of your work, based upon one image. No one is going to judge the strength of your work this way. A better idea would be to ask what is the best way to prepare you images for sale on eBay and how long can you expect that it will take to get established there. FWIW, There are a number of people here who sell their work on eBay, and they will tell you that it takes time, above all else.
    Last edited by roteague; 09-21-2006 at 01:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jarvman,

Ebay tends to be a very difficult and low end market for photographs. I do not know if such a market exhausts in the UK, but I personally sell much of my work through Art Shows in the US. This is a very competitive and difficult market as well, but the work sells for much more than on Ebay. Only through some experience will you find if your work will be purchased by the public.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ok Ill bite

Given you only allowed 1 hour and some change to pass before loosing your patience I might sugest another field of endevor may be in order. Prints sales ebb and flow, and your one go round with ebay is nothing knew.

You must learn to market yourself, first I suggest locally. In your own home town, try some galleries. If your work is good enough and your subjects interesting enough people will take notice.

Simply running a few auctions on ebay may not be the answer. Firstly anyone serious enough to want to plop down a fair amount on a photograph is going to want to see it first, in front of them. Secondly if your goal is to sell photographs you may look into stock photography. Once again if your work is good, it will find a market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvman View Post
    Bullshit to the lot of you then
    wow, why so annoyed, settle down

if selling images was easy and commonly known we'd all be doing it

be realistic, there are many photographers, myself included, who believe their work is good enough to sell, so how come we don't/can't/haven't

many images, limited market

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are two venues coming up to see if your images might sell. Photo Lucida http://www.photolucida.org/ in Portland and Review Santa Fe http://www.sfcp.org/programs.cfm?p=Review in.. well.. Santa Fe. Both are portfolio reviews, and both are attended by some of the best in the fields of publishing, marketing, editorial, and gallery representation.

Photo Lucida is easy.. you just have to sign up before all the slots are gone (and they're going fast right now), and pay the $600. Review Santa Fe is much harder.. you submit a cohesive portfolio of 20 images (print ..any process , digital, slide.. your choice), and they will choose those who will attend the actual portfolio review . A single images won't cut it though.. neither will 20 images of assorted subjects. You need to demonstrate you have a body of work that fits together. I believe your chances are about 1 in 6.

jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    FWIW, I like the image you posted, it is just too small to get much out of, and I would not want to make a judgement about your work based upon this one small sample.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin