Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,022   Online: 908

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Rich--It's not necessary to post in multiple forums, because all the new threads appear in the "New Posts" view, so I am merging these threads in the forum where they seem to be getting the most views.
    Hi David,

Thanks. Only listed in both so that the Regional Group saw the listing.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi rich

i live in ri, and if i can make it i will
    it would be nice to meet you and see some
    of your work!

all the best,
    john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi rich

i live in ri, and if i can make it i will
    it would be nice to meet you and see some
    of your work!

all the best,
    john
    Hi John,

Look forward to having the opportunity to meet you and your family.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since Derek asked and I don't think that I will be getting a photo of my outdoor display, I am uploading an indoor booth photo with my lights of the booth. This photo does not include the largest images or the piece in Museum Glass. Additionally, the booth is set up a little differently than this image.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RICHARDNELRIDGEBOOTH.jpg  
    Richard A. Nelridge

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good luck Rich!
    I checked out your show schedule, you're a busy guy!
    A couple questions, if you have the time.
    Back east, do you find that the same photogs are always in the same shows?
    Like you're always competing with the same folks?
    Out here, that's very true, with only a few "out-of-towners."
    I have family back east, and would consider doing a show maybe next summer. Do you think Colorado stuff would do well back there?
    Also, I noticed you're displaying without colored mats. How have these done for you?
    Thanks in advance, and have a great show!
    DT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by davetravis View Post
    Good luck Rich!
    I checked out your show schedule, you're a busy guy!
    A couple questions, if you have the time.
    Back east, do you find that the same photogs are always in the same shows?
    Like you're always competing with the same folks?
    Out here, that's very true, with only a few "out-of-towners."
    I have family back east, and would consider doing a show maybe next summer. Do you think Colorado stuff would do well back there?
    Also, I noticed you're displaying without colored mats. How have these done for you?
    Thanks in advance, and have a great show!
    DT
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the well wishing.

Yes many of us return to the same shows year after year. We try to return to the ones that produce good reaction and sales. When possible, we find replacements for poor (er) performing shows. It is a tough business and sales from show to show and year to year can change dramatically. But there is turnover of exhibitors. As some drop out or do not jury in new people appear for competition. Some of the shows that I participate in have larger percentages of east coast exhibitors, though they are not necessarily from the state in which we are exhibiting.

As to photos of Colorado, it is amazing but as I display (and have been displaying work) for the last 10 years I still sell a high percentage of images that were taken in Colorado and Utah 10 and 11 years ago. Good images are good whether recent or older. What is so amazing, is even when I participate in shows like Mystic, CT which is along the shore, I still sell a high percentage of specific images from CO, UT, Adirondacks in NY, Dark Hollow Falls from VA, etc. And even my more local images even from Acadia, NP, ME do not sell as well.

As to the mat colors originally I used to use a little darker than a neutral Gray (Crescent called in Nimbus). But about 8? years ago I switched to prep with acid free Non-Buffered Rising photo mount boards. I decided to use a museum or gallery presentation. I decided to use the white because I used to go crazy trying to match the color mats to go with the colors in the photos. You might match a color on 2 or even 3 sides, but it might not work for the whole image. Additionally, because I had so much color in the booth, the added problems of even more color from the mats would have made things a nightmare.

I had switched from silver colored aluminum frames to the Nielsen black frames about 7 years ago. About 3-4 years ago I started putting out the frames in the custom wooden frames that are unique to my photos. I now rely on the color of the wooden frames to either complement or contrast the colors of the image rather than use the colored mats. I know from many comments from the public that they like the frames and they think that the frames go well with the subject. Ocasionally someone asks about using colored mats, but I suggest using the colored mat closest to the glass with the white non-Buffered mat board nearest the photo paper.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rich,
    Thanks for the reply!
    A ten year show veteran! Man, I bet you've seen it all! (and more than you care to)
    Still using the same tent? I've been on the circuit for 3 years now.
    When I visit Maine about every 2 years, I take an 11x14 portfolio and show to friends and family. They seem to like places that are less familiar. I think you're right about a good image will basically sell anywhere. Out here I sell maple trees shot in the White Mountains to folks that have roots back there, and miss their hometowns. Colorado is a true "melting pot," and it's rare to meet a "native." Maybe that's why travel photogs also do well out here, they have a little bit of everywhere.
    I use the light colored mat next to the photo, and the dark one next to the glass. My biggest problem has always been "orange peel" on the polyester based prints. Visit a Mangleson gallery and you'll see what I mean. I finally decided to just hinge mount, and save the surface.
    I think I'm ready to do more indoor shows!
    Good luck during the rest of your season.
    DT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the booth shot Rich. I was hoping to see your acrylic print though. It sounds very interesting. Oh well, maybe another time. Good luck with your show.

Dave, I live in your neck of the woods and would love to stop buy one of your shows sometime. I'll look at your schedule and see if your close by sometime.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Derek,
    I PMed ya!
    DT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Lofgreen View Post
    Thanks for the booth shot Rich. I was hoping to see your acrylic print though. It sounds very interesting. Oh well, maybe another time. Good luck with your show.

Dave, I live in your neck of the woods and would love to stop buy one of your shows sometime. I'll look at your schedule and see if your close by sometime.

D.
    Hi Derek,

Maybe you misunderstood, or I wasn't specific enough. The photos are not acrylic, the glazing material (glass, plexiglass,etc.) is a very expensive high end acrylic. It looks indistinguishable from glass from a distance. But the acrylic is UV protective and is clear; it does not have a greenish or bluish cast that many picture framing glasses have.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin