Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,773   Posts: 1,516,609   Online: 1119

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new web site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on View Post
    No problem in this respect on my browser. All looks good.....
    It is not so much my browser, as how I set up my "desktop" (as in computer screen), in order to permit me to do the 5 things at once that my day requires (all on a 17'' CRT screen).

If I maximise the browser window (push F11) the website is great, but I can't easily switch back and forth and see the 3 other programs and 2 other tabs that I normally need (or want) to keep handy.

I expect that my desktop organization is not that unusual, so you might want to make your website "cluttered desktop" friendly.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Stoo,

I wil do my best to give you some feedback on your very nice website. In the first place I like the layout very much. nice and handy navigation and a wel thought out position of everything. but, I can't read many of the texts because they are mixed up. It seems that there are other layers of text in the exact same position. when you fix that it is a superb site with very nice pictures. i've added it to my favorites

greets
    ijsbeer

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Fine images! But I would cut the dissolve time by 95%. It is way too slow for my tastes,maybe even take it out all together. I think your images are contemplative enough.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey Stoo,
    nice site. but when I go into the landscape gallery, the E in landscapE goes to the next line. it kinda looks like this..

Landscap
    e

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wonderful site Stoo, puts mine to shame.

Two minor points to ponder.

It’s slightly annoying to have to go through an intermediate page to get to the menu items, why not allow direct entry.

The red banner on the inner pages is distracting.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree with Dave's penultimate sentence otherwise it is good and I look forward to seeing more images once it is finished.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Everyone

Thanks for taking the time to look at my site.

First, thanks to Kevin for the spell check. Hopefully the errors are sorted now.

Drew

the the is now 'the' and thank You

David b

I may have loaded the wrong landcape page. I have resized the page and republished. I hope the problem is now sorted. You may have to refresh your browser before it comes right on future visits.

RAP

Thank You for your compliments. I take on board your comments about the disolve time. Maybe it does need shortening. It is alot of work as I will have to change and republish every page as I did not have dreamweaver when I built the site. If it 'p's too many people off I will go for it. Thank You.

Dave Miller

Again, thanks for the compliments. With regards to the intermediate page to get to, say, landscape. Two reasons why I put the extra page there. My friends looked at the site and did not know that they could click on an image for more information about the photograph and suggested insructions to do so on every page. At first I put a line instructing visitors to do so on the home page (it still remains) but I felt that it wasn't enough. I thought that If I put insructions on every page the site will start to look cluttered and ugly. So I decided on the extra page so it would be clear to visitors when they enter each gallery that the images are left clickable.. Also it explains in more detail what is meant by 'within the landscape' etc

The other reason is that it makes it easy for me to publish a new image. Just get up that page and change the link address The new image will always be at the beginning of the gallery so visitors will be seeing my new work first.

Thanks again Dave

Roy

Thanks for your compliments. Hopefully I can get back in the darkroom now. Have just had a trip to Scotland so lots of new work to come. I have published one today in 'latest Image' found on the home page.

Eric and Ijsbeer

Thank You both for taking the time to look and your comments. I'm afraid yours is a little bit more complicated to fix.

When building the site, I soon realised that I had a problem, everytime I published, the words jumbled up just like you describe. I would add a thumbnail of my monitor to show you what it looked like but I don't know how!

I had a professional sort my computer out. It was a browser/display configuration problem. The thing is, I do not know at what end, mine or yours is causing the problem so I will not be able to sort it.

At a guess, I would say that you are both not using microsoft internet explorer browsers. If I look at my site through a mozilla firefox browser the site does not read properly, at least on my computer anyway.

My appologies to you both.

Once again, thank you all for looking and taking the time to comment.

Kind Regards

Stoo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    everything looks good now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beautiful images Stoo.

I like the general style of the site too - only a couple of niggles already mentioned by others...

The text looks fine to me in Firefox on my PC (XP Pro) - no overlapping. A few spelling errors (and just to confuse things, you've spelt "fibre" as "fiber" )... but that's easily fixed by running your text through a spell chequer...

Ahhh... Just tried it in I.E. Slow fade-out/fade-in transitions between screens (only IE understands that - Firefox transitions instantly). Takes two to three seconds to switch between pages. Sorry, but that one is actually genuinely irritating...

Again, great images on there. A few tweaks to the site (or not: most of it is a question of style, and I like the overall look a lot) and you are done. Good job.

Cheers, Bob.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin